cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help - Noisy business line, no Internet, VERY POOR SERVICE from BT

milonic

Hi All,

I'm absolutely at my wits end, please somebody help me.

I have a business line that is currently synced at 384 kbps.

Here's the system we have:

It's a dual (bonded) broadband setup running MLPPP - one line is synced at 5248 kbps and has been up for several weeks now, the other line is synced at 384 kbps and resyncs many times per day - clearly something's at fault here but BT engineers do not immediately acknowledge this as an issue. What happens is they turn up – run their tests, tell me the line is OK and go away again leaving me to pay £225+VAT – Usually they tell me that I need a broadband engineer but they must close the job first and I’ll need to re-book another appointment. It’s a dreadful and appalling service.

Anyway, I’ve been monitoring this issue for a few years now and I can tell you that the noise occurs precisely every 2 hours and lasts for around 20 minutes. Unfortunately, it’s completely random when it starts and some days it never happens at all. Sounds like a REIN issue to me and many engineers agree but none of them seem to have the time nor the desire to follow it through.

This issues has been getting worse over the years, first it just resynced a few times a day, now it’s having trouble syncing and connecting at anything better that dial-up speed and the BRAS profile is now stuck.

So, I’m paying over £100 per month for a service I’m not getting. Looking at getting satellite broadband if nobody at BT can get this fixed.

Is there somebody on this forum that can direct me to the appropriate person to get this issue dealt with. I’ve exhausted all other avenues, this is the only one left.

Please note that I do not need another engineer to test the line – I need somebody who actually knows what they are doing and wants to fix the problem.

Regards,

Andy

6 REPLIES 6

milonic

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!

milonic

ANYBODY!

milonic

Apparently, i need to add FOA @ markp to my post to get a response.

Feel like I'm talking to myself on here though. And yes, this forum IS sending me kinda loopy.

HowsThat
Power User

Hi,

Can you Private Message me the phone line numbers in question and the full install address so I can d some investigating?

REIN is not a problem anyone wants to have since it is normally down to local electrical interference outside on BT / Openreach's control.  Openreach only have a handful of REIN engineers and their time is in great demand so the wait can be horrific.

As an immedate plan of action I would suggest putting a seperate modem/router on the bad line and raising it as a fault with your broadband provider since they will need to try and book a REIN engineer.  The second thing to do is review when the broadband drops and see if you can see a pattern.  The cause will be local so follow the phone cable routing of the bad line noting how this differs from the good one.  Then check any electrical device within 5 meters.  It could be a faulty power supply, extension cable or the heater kicking in.

Simon.

milonic

HI Simon,

Thank you so much for this, can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your time.

I am actually hoping it's not a REIN issue but it looks likely. The reason I say is that I have graphs of CRC errors and there's a definite pattern of errors appearing for around 20 minutes every 2 hours. This is quite accurate but the times it starts is random and sometimes doesn’t error at all, hence my difficulty in getting an engineer to take it seriously.

Oh and I’ve looked at the graphs and they start in 2012 so I’ve had this issue for years. It’s only recent that it’s become un-usable.

I also have recorded the noise on the line. The line is connected to an Asterisk server that auto dials 17070 and performs a Quite Line Test for a few minutes if the ADSL rate changes.

I can zip all this data up and send it to you if you like.

Anyway, I’ll PM the details and keep my fingers crossed.

Oh and one final thing. As I said before we have 2 lines into the building, one is perfect, the other not, so this could rule out REIN. Maybe there’s something in the exchange causing it. I just need an engineer to investigate properly.

Regards,

Andy

markp
Grand Guru

Hi milonic

If you send me the line details via a private message I can get the lines tested for you.

markp