cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with GigE port of BT Business Hub 3

guc925

Hi

I just had an upgrade installation to BT Business Fibre broadband this morning.  Generally working OK but a few niggles to work through.

The BT Business Hub 3 ethernet connectors (and its manual) say that port4 supports GigE.  However, when I connect from that port to my GigE network (via a Netgear GS 605 GigE switched router) the Netgear box reports the link to the BT Hub as only running at 100Mbps whilst all its other ports are happily running at 1Gbps.  Similarly the Hub Manager web page also reports connections to various clients and servers as running at 100Mbps rather than the 1Gbps they are actually running between themselves.

Is there some hidden setting somewhere to enable GigE operation from port4 on the BT Hub that I haven't found?  I would expect the ports to be auto-selecting.

Thanks

guc925

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

guc925

Replacement Hub3 arrived this morning, setup straight away and came up running Gig ethernet on Port4 as designed and Hub Manager can see Gig pathways through my routers to other clients and servers.

Trevor at BT been extremely helpful and timely with this one.

Thanks for help on this.  Issue now closed.

Regards

guc925

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

markp
Grand Guru

Hi guc925

I have been informed that there was a batch of the Hub 3's where the gig port 4 was running at a tenth of its speed, by factory reseting the hub, this should resolve this issue.

If a factory reset does not solve the issue please contact the helpdesk to get the hub replaced.

Regards

Markp

BT Business Forum Moderator

kimura
Super User

Hi Guc. 0800 800 154 for business. Good luck.

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Kimura,

The number 0800 800 154 is for Business telephony faults, the correct phone number for business broadband faults is 0845 600 7020.

Regards

Markp

BT Business Forum Moderator

guc925

Thanks for the advice.  I have just completed a factory reset of the new BT Business Hub 3 and it has made absolutely no difference to this port speed.  Next stop helpdesk.

Not encouraging that they are shipping known faulty units without retesting.

Thanks anyway.

guc925

guc925

Hi again

Well, following the advice on this forum I contacted the helpdesk on Friday afternoon.  Helpdesk was quick on ringback and helpful but couldn't authorise a replacement hub themselves and needed to transfer me to the Fibre group.  After 40 minutes of music on hold this was eventually answered.  Had a long argument where he kept telling me that the port couldn't support 1Gbps and I tried to persuade him that the speed that the ethernet port was designed to run at (GigE) was independent from how much traffic it carried (whatever the broadband could support).  In the end he agreed to ship a replacement hub to me over the weekend.

Now its Monday morning and I have just received a replacement hub, however it is a 2701HGV-C Gateway rather than a Business Hub 3.  The box is sealed and I do not want to break the seal yet.  

Firstly I assume this is a direct replacement for just the Business Hub 3 and not for the Hub 3 and Openreach modem combination - in which case I now have to find somewhere else to put my hub as the 2701 is too big to sit on top of the openreach modem like the Hub 3 would.

Secondly, and what I was looking for confirmation of here, I can't find a full online reference manual for the 2701HGV-C and the online basic user guide doesn't mention it but I have found several mentions  in various fora that the 2701HGV supports 4off 10/100 ethernet ports only!  Is this the case?  If so it seems like BT have just tried to solve my problem by shipping a replacement product that doesn't support GigE in the first place!

I know that the broadband throughput does not need GigE to support it but my original Hub3 says it should run at GigE and it doesn't which bothers me.  Should I be bothered?

Regards

guc925

MHC
Guru

The 2701HGV-C was the original Infinity Hub and works extremely well  and personally I think it is better than the Hub3 with the exception that it does not have the Gb port, just as you have found 4x100Mb.   However, with maximum speeds on Infinity of 80Mbps, does it matter?

I feed my 2701 direct to a 24 port Gb switch and that gives me a Gb network and the only traffic going to/from the 2701 is inbound/outbound traffic, IP lease request, or local DNS look up information &c.

You mention that the Hub3 would sit on te existing modem - a little advice on that.  The modems do get warm it is suggested by a lot of users that the modem is mounted vertically to improve airflow.

guc925

I'm impressed.  BT are obviously monitoring this forum.  I just had an unsolicited call from someone in BT apologising for shipping the wrong hub and telling me that a new Hub3 has been ordered and should be with me tomorrow.  Makes me feel better about my phone experience on Friday now.

MHC, thanks for your quick response as well.  Good suggestion about not stacking the units, I have now separated them and mounted the Openreach modem vertically.  Interesting that it was the installer who stacked the units originally not me.

Best Regards

guc925

guc925

Replacement Hub3 arrived this morning, setup straight away and came up running Gig ethernet on Port4 as designed and Hub Manager can see Gig pathways through my routers to other clients and servers.

Trevor at BT been extremely helpful and timely with this one.

Thanks for help on this.  Issue now closed.

Regards

guc925

MHC
Guru

Did you pick up the PM I sent though?