cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security

Guardian-Labs

Hi All, I'm New 

I have just been contacted by a company claiming to be a BT Broadband wholesaler, saying that we had reported problems with our BB service. (we had not). We are experiencing intermittent drop outs of service but as this was not a major inconvenience we had not reported it.

I was asked for the line number we were using for the BB and they supposedly checked the line, which was ok. When I was asked for detailed information regarding our account and bill number from our latest bill I got suspicious amd ended the call. Am I just being Paranoid or was this company genuinely trying to fix a fault. Has any one had a similar experience.

3 REPLIES 3

majuuna

My name is mikel.

I have just been contacted by a company claiming to be BT.

I was cold Called today from a man claiming to be from BT.
The man spoke in an indian / asian dialect with what sounded like a call centre noise in the background.
He said that BT had monitored illigal use of my IP Adress to many sources. He wanted details of my account to investigate more and to resolve the issue.

When i asked for a password to prove that he was from BT the call ended with a with held number. 

I know that lately there has been a worldwide attack so i am extra vigilant. as this method is a way in for hackers and viruses.

many thanks
mikel.

markp
Grand Guru

Hi there majuuna

We as a company would not cold call you to advise of anything like this. If you do get a call you can contact our security team on 0808 100 4332, or email abuse@bt.com.

Markp

windymiller123
Power User

I wish they would call us to discuss the problems with our BT Net circuit.  

Been reported to BT themselves repeatedely who have not done anything about it.