cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange call allegedly from BT

peejay1977

Hi all,

My wife had a very strange call supposedly from BT today, basically she had a call from an unknown/withheld number asking her if anyone at our address has been accessing the "Dark Web". She didn't know what that meant so asked for more information and was told that "more investigations were being done and that a list of sites and dates would be provided in due course".

She didn't think to ask them their name or what department or a contact sadly but they apparently quoted our telephone line number and a VP account number although she had no way to verify that was the right one.

I am the account holder for the service and they have not tried to contact me nor have I had any letters etc.

Now, being in IT I am well aware of what the "dark web" is and I used it once many years ago to access a blocked site (nothing illegal I think it was a torrent site).

Something about this makes me very suspicious and it just doesn't sound right to me.

Anyone heard of anything similar? I find it very odd that they used the phrase "dark web".

Thanks

Paul.

1 REPLY 1

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

BT will never phone you.  Unless it's in response to something you've instigated yourself.  Even their sales people do not cold call.  Fairly confident it wasn't BT on the phone Paul.

If BT get in touch regarding downloading torrents then it would be by letter.

Thanks