cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling broadband and followed by a sales call to upgrade to fibre.

Saylean

Quite annoyed with BT. For the past 5 days it's clear that they're throttling our broadband at peak times. This falls the month before we're due to renew the broadband line. Low and behold, 3 days after they started throttling, I get a call from their sales team about upgrading to fibre. Is this legal in the UK? I'm certainly reconsidering BT as a broadband provider now.

Will OFCOM be interested in knowing this? We know that we can't prove it, but it's extremely suspicious that our internet has been fine for 2 years, then suddenly awful just days before a sales call, and mostly at peak times. This is not acceptable for a business service.

I also had to jump through hoops to post this in the forum, and because of the throttling, it's taken me 45 minutes just to post it.

4 REPLIES 4

Saylean

Posting this screenshot incase it magically disappears. I'll post it to other forums if it does.

john46

Sounds more like congestion issues no ISP deliberately throttle a user 

wajid

I dont think BT are throttling you. I would contact the helpdesk than jumping to conclusions. Check your sync speeds your snr.

You can let your contract lapse, they wont force you to renew. But trust me, people are dying to switch to fibre. You should be lucky they have it for your line.

Wajid Akhtar
---------------
Technical Project Manager

spank
Grand Guru

My speed dropped when they enabled fibre on my exchange as well.  Then I noticed my line length had increased by 500 meteres.  I don't know what happens at the exchange when they start work but I'm sure it's a major job getting fibre installed, some lines need to be rerouted, some need to be consolidated into larger groups.  It's just a symptom of the upgrade.

Your line might have been happily running on it's own line card and now you're sharing with a larger group so they can make space for the extra equipment.

Who knows!

If you still think there is an issues then check for a potential line fault.  Call the desk on 0800 800 154 and go through the options for broadband fault.

Thanks