cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torrent upload traffic slowed down? Shaping?

TBcustomer

It was suggested I post here from this thread: https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Torrent-upload-traffic-slowed-down-Shaping/td-p/...

I run a small startup biz that uses a lot of data logs with 2 mates, one in NZ and one in Oz, as I normally have the fastest connection I download the server logs, backups etc and put it into a torrent file which they get using a private tacker, so we're not all downloading from the server. 

However the last 2 months or so I've not been able to get my full speed on uploads. 

There were about 5 days where it went back to usual, but last 2 weeks hasn't broken the 118kb/s mark.  Connection went from about 2MB/s to 100kb/s.

I have restarted router, hub, computer, tried different torrent clients and computers.  I get faster speeds using the BTOpenzone and BTFon connections than I do my home connection. 

I know BT say they're not shaping, but I'm very confused and can't think of what else it can be.
Thanks for any help.

Glasnot test for my home connection:

Your ISP appears to rate limit your uploads.

Details:

*Your ISP appears to rate limit your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests, uploads using control flows achieved up to 15881 Kbps while uploads using BitTorrent achieved up to 993 Kbps.

*Your ISP appears to rate limit uploads on port 6881. In our tests, uploads on port 6881 achieved up to 15881 Kbps while uploads on port 32937 achieved up to 991 Kbps.

Glasnot test for my BTOpenzone connection:
Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.
Is your download traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.
1 REPLY 1

TBcustomer

Update on this, tried at 2 friends flats (talk talk and virgin) with my laptop, uploads worked at their connections full speeds. 

Last night between the hours of midnight and 7am I got 1.7MB/s upload, not my top 2MB/s but fast enough, after 7am I'm back down to 100kB/s upload. 

I don't normally use torrents for downloads but did a test and can get up to 7MB/s down at any time, so it really is just uploads that are being throttled. 

I've got about 6 months left on paid upfront phone line, will finish this contract and then move elsewhere, shame as a BT shareholder I am disapointed.

Cheers,

TB.