cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to upgrade to fibre because cabinet full. Is it possible to confirm this?

sunnyc

I currently have residential fibre broadband but had a requirement for a static IP.  I asked BT to change my package from residential to business so I could get a static IP.  I was told by BT that the cabinet is full and they could not give me fibre on the business line  I needed a the static IP so I got a 2nd line (new connection) for business broadband at a download speed of 1MB while my residential broadband speed is 70mb.  Both lines are in the same cabinet.  I'm now paying for 2 lines/broadband packages when I only require 1.

However, what I find strange is that the engineer that installed the business line said he can't understand why I couldn't get fibre as there were "loads" of free ports in the cabinet.

Is there anyway I can confirm if this is the case or can I at least be put on a waiting list for fibre?

3 REPLIES 3

Bobby
Super User

Hey sunnyc, 

You can get in touch with the business technical team on 0800 800 154 who are available over the weekend, 24/7. They can look into this for you and see if it would be possible to upgrade that service to fibre - they'll be able to confirm once validating your details. Definitely strange if the engineer has indicated there's availability! 

Thanks, Bobby

sunnyc

I called the engineer team and they say the same thing i.e cabinet is full which baffles me as I can go to the BT website an order another residential fibre line.

Anyway I have since discovered that plusnet fibre residential give you a static IP for £5 so I am changing my BT residential package to plusnet. 

Unforutanley I am stuck with a 1MB BT Business line for 2 years which I won't be using.

Bobby
Super User

Hey sunnyc,

Sometimes it will allow you to order an additional line, and then at some point through the order process it will be established that there's no fibre availability despite it showing on the website. Silly, I know, but I've seen that happen before. 

All the best with your Plusnet services. 

Thanks, Bobby