cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to business from residential, still connecting with G.DMT not ADSL2+

FollyDude

Hi, I moved from BT residential to BT Business, over 2 months ago.

My modem is still connecting with G.DMT. I think it should be connecting with ADSL2+ ?

Would a moderator please take a look at this and confirm this? I have contacted BT Business support but they told me there was nothing they could do. 

Thanks in advance

Steve

5 REPLIES 5

markp
Grand Guru

Hi  there FollyDude,

For all standard broadband connections, the router should using G.DMT.

Markp

FollyDude

Thanks markp. I assumed (wrongly) that a business connection was ADSL2+.

Could you expand on the term "standard" please, and which cases would a modem connect with ADSL2+ and not G.DMT.

I have other clients on the same exchange that are connecting with ADSL2+ and are getting faster uploads speeds 900Kbps compared to my 440kbps.

Are there any changes made at the exchange when a user moves from residential to business?

Thanks again

Steve

markp
Grand Guru

Hi FollyDude,

by standard I mean ADSL broadband and not fibre broadband. When it comes to G.DMT or ADSL2+ it all depends on what speed the line can handle, normally anything upto 8Mb will be G.DMT. If you are only getting 440K upload to me that would indicate that you are on either an upto 8Mb line, or your line is quite long and you are far from the exchange.

markp

FollyDude

I must admit I am confused by this, I have a neighbour on BT business on the same exchange (SMCI) as me. They are only a few hundred metres from me. I get faster download speeds (4.5Mbps vs 3Mbps) than they do.

Yes we are on a long line roughly 4Km.

My neighbour  connects with ADSL2+ ANNEX A and I connect at G.DMT. Their upload speed is ~996Mbps vs my 448Mbps  Both of the lines are below 8Mbps.

Could there be a provisioning issue on my line? If so, how can I have that checked?

BT Business states an upload speed of up to 1Mbps on the Unlimited Broadband package (which is what I have), how can this be acheived on G.DMT which has a max upload speed of 448Kbps?

Regards

Steve

reshyam

Hi Guys,

Well come to forum site. By standard we mean ADSL broadband and not fibre broadband. When it comes to G.DMT or ADSL2+ in the all depends on what speed the line can handle, normally anything upto 8Mb will be G.DMT. If We are only getting 440K upload to me that would indicate that we are on either an upto 8Mb line.

Thanks...........