cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using IPv6 addresses with existing Infinity connection with 13 static IP addresses

andyt22
Power User

I have had an Infinity connection for years now, using the HG612 VDSL modem and BT Business Hub 3 originally supplied by BT with 13 static public IP addresses and have been very happy with the service. 

If I was to replace the Hub 3 with something more recent that supports IPv6 (Hub 4 or 5, or a Draytek 2860 for example) I have some questions:

1. would I still be able to use these IPv4 static public IP addresses?

2. would I have to apply for static IPv6 addresses as well, or would they be automatically become available

in a IPv6 /56 subnet?

3. could I use both the existing static IPv4 addresses as well as the IPv6 addresses?

Thanks in advance for any ahswers to these questions.

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

markp
Grand Guru

Hi there All,

at the moment IPV6 is still in trial stages for Business users, at the moment we do not have an exact date as to when it will be fully rolled out.

Markp

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

andyt22
Power User

Well, I'm answering my own question to some extent - I have bought a Draytek 2860 and have managed to get it set up using its built-in VDSL2 modem with the static IP addresses, NAT'd internal LAN, etc but can't get an IPv6 IP address even after following the Draytek documentation for this. The IPv6 side keeps retrying the PPP connection so that after about 16 to 18 seconds the connection drops and it retries once again.

It's possible IPv6 isn't yet available on my local BT exchange - can anyone confirm whether the Crouch End, London N8 exchange with phone numbers beginning with 020 8341 is actually IPv6 enabled?

Andy

rhyssmith

From what I know (and I could be wrong), but BT have enabled v6 on their consumer infinity connections but not their business infinity connections. Which is rather annoying.

I've got v6 working the same way i've had a few years now, via a 6in4 tunnel to my Hurricane Electric (tunnelbroker) account.

Every now and then I turn that off and try to get my router to get a native v6 connection from BT in the hope they've turned it on, but as yet, no joy...

andyt22
Power User

Thanks for your prompt reply - yes, it seems IPv6 almost certainly isn't available on business Infinity connections. I've since found several press releases from BT saying it was fully rolled out to consumer connections in Q3 last year and would be available on business connections in the first quarter of this year.

I also found some posts on other forums saying DHCPv6 client or DHCPv6PD mode should be used instead of PPP to initiate the connection authentication with Infinity IPv6 but then again, others disputed this.

Would anyone from BT reading this like to confirm IPv6 is not yet available for business customers?

Andy

markp
Grand Guru

Hi there All,

at the moment IPV6 is still in trial stages for Business users, at the moment we do not have an exact date as to when it will be fully rolled out.

Markp

andyt22
Power User

I forgot to reply to this at the time but I wondered if there was any update on when IPv6 would be available for BT business customers?

From time to time we build and configure firewalls and VPN devices and use spare IP addresses on our BT Infinity connection to test these. But customers are now asking about IPv6 features which we can't really test online, only internally in lab-type network mock-ups.

Andy