cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a second BT Home Hub 6 as a wifi extender ?

Gaz05

Hi i was wondering if i can use a second (slave) home hub 6 hard wired to my master home hub 6 to improve wifi in other part of house, i already have both the HH6 but just need to know if its possible to do and how to go about it please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MHC
Guru

Yes,  it is actually possible.

On the slave device, turn off DHCP and give the unit a fixed local IP address withing te normal range of the primary.   Set up the WiFi passwords and off you go.

I use a Business Hub 6 as the master and currently have two slaves running as WAPs - one is a SMart Hub 6 (residential/hiome) and te second a Business Smart Hub 6.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AngusStewart

No.

Buy a TP-Link WPA 4220 Kit and send the broadband through your power wiring. As long as you have a modern fuseboard with switch type fuses you'll be OK.

Gaz05

Thanks Angus, to be honest, the rooms have limited sockets and there is the expense of purchasing these when i already have a spare second hub and the required ethernet cable in place - there must be someone on that knows if this is possibe and how to do this ?

MHC
Guru

Yes,  it is actually possible.

On the slave device, turn off DHCP and give the unit a fixed local IP address withing te normal range of the primary.   Set up the WiFi passwords and off you go.

I use a Business Hub 6 as the master and currently have two slaves running as WAPs - one is a SMart Hub 6 (residential/hiome) and te second a Business Smart Hub 6.

Jeffiqec

Please god no.

Power Line PLT devices are a nightmare and send spurius emissions of RF all of the spectrum.  They create havoc for Radio services and the amateur bands.

They are nightmare that should be banned and binned immediately.  All the crap about CE marking means nothig.  Open one up and all the filters that are supposed to be there are just "not fitted" after the test sample has got its CE mark. 

This is a known problem and along with VDSL noise they are causing so much RF pollution.

Want to know more, have a look at the OFCOM and RSGB websites.

JH

kingcap33

Would this solution  extend the BT_Guest_Wireless SSID as well ? Which by defualt brings up a Login page which only requires a Email Address to access

@MHC wrote:

Would this solution  extend the BT_Guest_Wireless SSID as well ? Which by defualt brings up a Login page which only requires a Email Address to access