cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an internal DNS server

Lentep

I'm trying to set up my network to use an internal DNS server but I am running into some issues with configuring the BT Business Hub 5.

I have configured a server for DNS and DHCP and that is fine. The problem is that the Business Hub still lists itself as a DNS server in the IPv6 router advertisements and when I specify an internal IP address for a DNS server, a static route gets created which prevents the hub from doing DNS resolution. This route directs packets for my DNS server over the PPP link. This automatically created route cannot be removed. I'm not sure why this route doesn't prevent my DNS server from doing lookups.

In order of preference, I have a few options to get my setup to work but I haven't found the magic for any of them:

1. Disable the RDNSS field in the IPv6 router advertisement messages or at least have it specify the IP address of my server.
  2. Have specifying the internal IP address for DNS work, presumably by preventing the route being created.
  3. Disable IPv6 altogether so as to have no dependency on the hub for DNS (already done for IPv4).

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Paul

0 REPLIES 0