cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website being blocked?

islac

Hi,

Hope someone can help with this, as it is pushing beyond the limit of my technical knowledge!

I have a number of devices attached to my Business Hub 2701HGV-C.  In the last few days, I have added a Barclaycard terminal (was connecting by dial up, but have just switched it over to ethernet).

The Barclaycard terminal has 2 different applications loaded onto it - one is for credit card transactions, the other is to Payzone, to issue mobile phone topups.  The credit card application is working fine on broadband (and is really quick!).  This proves that the physical ethernet connection is working OK for the machine.

However, the payzone appilcation is not - it appears to connect, then hangs.  After many hours on to technical support, they have come to the conclusion that something is blocking access to the site which payzone needs to connect to. 

I have been given the address for this site (but would prefer not to publish it here, on a public forum).  However, I have tried putting the address into my browser, and the internet connection times out there as well.  Google chrome reports the error as 118 - connection timed out.

Could this be a firewall problem?  I have tried enabling all DMZ applications for the barclaycard terminal, which made no dfference?  I do not know enough about specific firewall applications to really be comfortable with the different options for this.

Alternatively, is there anything specific I could look for in the router log files, which might help identify why acess to the specific site is being blocked.

Any suggestions welcome - hopefully without too much technical jargon.

Thanks in advance!

Isla

3 REPLIES 3

wernstrom

an easy test to work out if it's the router is to try the link using your phone - disconnect from your wireless network first though, then you'll be using a different internet connection.

if it works, probably a config issue with the router

if it doesn't, probably a fault with the remote site.

cheers 🙂

realitytech

Generally these things need a port forward on the router/firewall. They should be able to tell you that. Good luck doing it with the businesshub though, its like pulling teeth. There are guides about though.

It sounds like the app is waiting for a reply and its never arriving because the inbound connection is being dropped.

Also just try rebooting the hub.

islac

Thanks for suggestions.  In the end it turned out the problem was a config issue at the supplier end, and once I got a customer services rep who spotted this and fixed it, it was all fine.

BT second line support were due to talk me through setting up the whole port forwarding thing on the router - however, I'm relieved to say that that is not necessary after all.

Isla