cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websites that show line length - Info

OldWolf
Guru

Hi all,

I've just been having a discussion with Jonesy, and he's mentioned something that I figured would be worth passing on.

He's been looking at some sites that give an indicator of line length in addition to the BT Wholesale Checker stats, and it turns out that at least some of them are only showing the estimated line length, for example if you look at the A&A website it shows this:

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/

The problem is that the estimated length of line can be significantly different, as Jonesy found out at one of his sites.  According to the checker he had a 1.2 km line, but when they looked at the actual length it was over 3km.

It's worth bearing this in mind if your speed on a checker looks really slow.  Use Google Maps (or something similar) to check the approximate route your line is likely to take.  If you live in a more country area then remember that the line is more likely to follow roads and bridges, rather than going through fields.

And even if you live in a residential area you may be affected by limits on availability.  Jonesy's issue is that many of the green cabinets between him and the exchange are full, so his 'line' has to go round town before coming back to him, which is why it's so long.  It also means that there are more potential points of failure on the line, which can affect signal strength and quality.

Me?  I'm lucky.  I'm about 3km and roughly in a straight line from mine.  /smug  🙂

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Dave A

4 REPLIES 4

MHC
Guru

I will add:

http://bbcheck.co.cc/

A simple response from this site ... it also gives an estimate of attenuation which can help when checking the line stats.   It probably uses the same data source as A&A.

markp
Grand Guru

Hi MHC and oldwolf,

I have checked both of those websites, I have checked them against BT Openreach's systems, and the line length the 2 websites gave me is the estimated line length not actual line length. I tested it with my own number and the 2 websites gave me a line length of 3174m but my actual line length is 4860m.

If you would like to know what your actual line length is you can contact support@btbroadbandoffice.com, title the subject line as "Line length query". In the email they will need ADSL phone number/WM account number, and company name and address.

The technical email team will then respond with the line length details.

Regards

Markp

BT Business Forum Moderator

nikkil
Power User

Noted. This would be helpful on a lot of users having this issue. And better equipped with the knowledge on what to do on this.

mhcwebdesign
Power User

This truly reveals a sad side of BT. Has it ever dawned upon this company that there are broadband technologies which are independent of line lengths? E.g fibre can easily cover tens of kilometers with hardly any signal loss. Even if BT were to use old copper wire technologies, such as VDSL (not a future-proof technology) there'd be much better approaches to eliminate the BT postcode lottery of line lengths: VDSL-rings comes to my mind, something unknown to BT, but not the telecoms industry in general.

BT has taken almost every wrong approach possible when it comes to offer proper telecom services, to the point that it has virtually abandoned small towns and many business parks, and this is only the beginning of its downward spirals. Even simple things like Annex-M or IPv6 is not offered by BT.