cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows server DHCP & multiple fixed IPs

labtech

I'm using a 2Wire hub with Windows Server 2012. The Windows server is running the DHCP and the DHCP is switched off in the 2wire router. The problem I'm having is trying to understand the concept of routing the multiple external IP addresses into the internal devices. Is this possible when the 2wire router is not the DHCP server? I've tried a few times in the NAT configuration page to assign a (external) fixed IP address to a device on the internal network without success.

I called BT Broadband about this conudrum and waited 47 minutes for them to reply; you need to speak to technical and it will cost you £20. I'm pretty peeved right now as I have called in about their confusing router before and have been helped out with infomation without being charged. What's going on?

4 REPLIES 4

Burkem5
Guru

Hi there @labtech

Follow this guide - http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10020/~/how-do-i-assign-multiple-static-ip-ad...

but when you get to step 5 stop and apply the IPs directly in the server or in the TCP/IP panel of the device.

I should mention that if you want both a public and a local IP on the devices you will need to either set up two NICs (network interface cards) in the device or use software in the server to alias an IP over the local IP

Hope this helps

Burkem5

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

Burkem is correct.  Just enable static IP then assign them manually to the devices within your network.  If you want to use network address allocation, which uses DHCP, will not work if DHCP is disabled.

Leave the internal IP as is.  Enabling static IP creates a multi-nat configuration which allows for both the static range and the local range to work independently on the same router and the same network.

Thanks

labtech

So, just to be clear, do I need to turn on the DHCP server in the router or am I ok using windows server DHCP? At the moment I have windows server providing the DHCP and the router DHCP switched off. With this configuration the router is not allowing me to assign a public IP address to an internal server.

spank
Grand Guru

There's 2 ways to assign the static IP's.  Either using the routers built in address allocation feature, which requires DHCP to be active on the router, or manually assign them to the devices within the network which doesn't require DHCP meaning you can turn it off within the router.

If your server is also acting as a gateway (using RRAS) then you will need 2 network cards, like burkem5 mentioned in his post.  One network card per subnet.

Thanks