cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bt dns

damsk

Hi All

Just wanted to check if anyone has any other problems with BT DNS servers.

I know that there were a few issues over the last week but BT Business broadband have advised there are no further issues.

The issue I am having is 5 pc's in the office, 2 wired, 3 wireless all have problems connecting to various websites, including www.gmail.com, www.bbc.co.uk etc - the users get a page not found - screen is refreshed then the website works fine. This happens on multiple browsers.

This is a random event and does not happen at 1 particular time.

I have tried mobile broadband from another provider on the PC's and there are no other issues like this.

Speaking to BT support - all settings on router are standard and DNS servers are found as default.

9 REPLIES 9

SeanC
Master User

Hi Damsk

Works fine here, also did not notice the issues before hand.

gs
Super User

There is an issue going on with Register right now, causing people to get a 550 error when emailing BT Hosted domain names, but thats it.

Try flushing your DNS first of all by going to cmd then typing ipconfig /flushdns

If that doesnt work

Try switching to open DNS:

Or try specifiying BT DNS:

194.72.9.34 194.72.9.38
194.74.65.68 194.74.65.69
194.72.0.98 194.72.0.114
62.6.40.178 62.6.40.178

damsk

hello

thanks for the reply,

i will try that and see if that makes a difference, spoke to business support earlier in the week and they were going to monitor.

Has anyone else noticed any other speed issues with bt dns - especially the times it takes to resolve ip addresses

Regards

ukabdale

I am having exactly the same issue, but I use Open DNS. It only seems to happen on my Windows 7 PCs, though. My Macs don't seem to have the issue. I wonder if Windows 7 is timing out a bit too quickly for the 2700HGV.

sej7278
Super User

BT's DNS servers are notoriously bad, you should use OpenDNS.

If you're still having the problem when using OpenDNS, its probably the IPv6 support in Win7 rather than problems with the router.

If you're using Firefox (which you should be - who wants the security issues with Internet Explorer?!) then go to about:config and set network.dns.disableIPv6 to true, that should help a bit.

damsk

I have the problem on windows 7 - 1 desktop , 1 laptop + 1 winxp desktop and 2 other winxp laptops.

I have tried the open DNS servers and will monitor to see if there are any further problems.

Update: I have just noticed the same issue with the open dns servers -

this is after restarting both pc's and using ipconfig / flushdns also and rebooting the router.

I am suspecting it could be an issue with the router - this is a standard BT 2wire one.

I think I have a spare one and will check on that but my old netgear one was not compatible with the bt adsl2 system.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Update: I am now noticing the issue when logging out of gmail / google apps accounts - log out - get dns error then hit refresh and it works fine?

revsorg

Can I just pitch in and mention that I suffer from this problem too.  Ever since moving over to BT business broadband... must be getting close to a year now... when I open a website, often using Firefox, I get a Page Not Found error, click refresh, and it appears as expected.  It's often when logging in to Hotmail, but affects other sites too.

a-hill
Grand Master

I'll throw a spanner in the works and say I get this issue, but with a different ISP and a Netgear. I used my own ISP's DNS and also googles open DNS and still the same.... curiously using Windows 7 64 Ultimate. Been meaning to sit down and have a good investigation, just not had the time. Basically I'm not convinced it's the 2700, but never say never. I get the same issue, timeout when going to websites, or clicking links within websites.. refresh brings it up again. Just to mix it up even more, I'm using Chrome.

SteveCWall

I have had this same problem. And I am astonished that BT has not picked this up. The support service spent ages telling me there was no problem with the router - but it is clear that there is.

The Router sends its own address to the DHCP clients as the DNS server address. However, it is so incredibly slow at resolving DNS addresses externally that they time out.

The solution is to ensure clients have external public DNS addresses. This can be done by manually configuring each client, but that is a pain.

In our office, by luck, the DHCP is run by a Firebox, downsteram of the router - so I was able to configure that to provide working DNS addresses.

But I have not found a way of configuring the 2700HGV to provide public DNS addresses for wifi clints - any ideas welcomed.