cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

regrade

Howardd

I have regraded (£75) to Total Broadband from Business 1 because of a speed issue.

I was assured that things would improve. They haven't. No surprise to this form I'm sure.  6 days no change at all.  No up down, or settling. But I've tried the 'proper, green line speed test which shows a speed of  3882/769 and gives a very clear indication that my line max achievable speed is 4000.

I wasn't told this at the time of ordering.  Does this refer to my physical line from TPole to house (I live in Bath) which is 15M

Can this be upgraded.  Or is it a switchover problem. Does this mean fibre to Kingsmead exchange will still be delivered to my Hub at 3.8mg? Im at no 29 and a few doors away at no 21 get 6Mg  But my pole has ceramic thingys on top and his doesn't,  so where is this all breaking down  I ask the question because I have failed to penetrate the cloud of unknowing at the end of the phone that prevents me talking to someone who knows.  Not surprisingly perhaps that they are protected.

Anyway any help guide welcomed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Redbull

Hi Howardd,

To clarify broadband speeds...

DSL Connection Rate is the physical speed (sync) your line is talking to the DSLAM/MSAN in the exchange.

• From your results posted 4541 Kbps

IP Profile is the theoretical download speed based on your current Sync speed (approx 20% less than sync)

• From your results posted 3500 Kbps

Download speed is the ACTUAL throughput (download speed) recorded by dowloading a file of a set size (eg: 20MB)and measuring the time taken to complete

• From your results posted 3073 Kbps

So, therefore the higher your DSL Connection Rate the higher your IP Profile and in turn the higher your Download Speed.

During the first 10 days of and Broadband installation the line goes through what is called the '10 day stabalisation period'. This is where your router "talks" to the exchange and based on the line conditions sets the maximum stable rate (MSR) for your connection and in turn a fault threshold rate (FTR).

Your connection would be classified as 'flapping' only if after the 10 days your DSL Connection Rate is below the FTR.

The first thing when you believe your DSL Connection Rate to be too slow is to connect to the router via the MICROFILTER directly into the Test Socket with is located behind the Master Socket face plate. see http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15772/c/426,427,2669

Once connected to the test port, you can access your router GUI (BT 2700/2701 is accessed by typing 192.168.1.254 into a web browser url) and it will display the DSL Connection Rate (Sync Rate/Speed) normally on the first page.

If this speed is considerably higher than the DSL Connection Rate previously conducted when running the BT Speedtester site speedtester.bt.com then this indicates an issue with your internal wiring within your premises or something connected to your internal wiring causing the lower DSL Connection Rate. The IP profile will then increase within 72 hours of seeing the higher DSL Connection Rate provided it stays stable at that rate for that period. You would then require to resolve your internal issue before removing your router from the test port as otherwise you will suffer the same problem again.

If the DSL Connection Rate does not increase when in the test socket and you are below your FTR then you would need to report the fault to BT for further investigation as this would then indicate an issue with either the physical phone line or an issue within the exchange itself.

---------------

FYI... I looked at your line in question and it is banded at 4Mb due to a large amount of noise errors. This happens automatically by the Dyncamic Line Management (DLM) system to provide a more stable connection however as a result you will recieve slower speeds.

If you complete the steps mentioned above ie: move the connection to the test socket. (although you will not see the DSL Connection Rate increase instantly, After 72 hours provided the line remains stable the banded profile would be removed automatically.

If the DSL Connection Rate has not increased after the 72 hour period please contact BT to log for investigation.

Please advise if this does / does not resolve your issue 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Howardd

perhaps the forum is not the place for a rant but asking questions and providing concrete information.

So these are my stats from a recent test;

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3073 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1200-4000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4541 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 963 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 3500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 3.15:16.61:80.26 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

this is 6 days after regrade to Total Broadband ADSL 2    

I will refrain from comment but simply ask for opinions on this.  The service is of course up to 20mbps and estimate was 7mbps

My neighbor, six doors away also on BT, is getting 6mbps.

What would be a fruitful and positive course of action to take?

Thanks any comment much appreciated

Redbull

Hi Howardd,

To clarify broadband speeds...

DSL Connection Rate is the physical speed (sync) your line is talking to the DSLAM/MSAN in the exchange.

• From your results posted 4541 Kbps

IP Profile is the theoretical download speed based on your current Sync speed (approx 20% less than sync)

• From your results posted 3500 Kbps

Download speed is the ACTUAL throughput (download speed) recorded by dowloading a file of a set size (eg: 20MB)and measuring the time taken to complete

• From your results posted 3073 Kbps

So, therefore the higher your DSL Connection Rate the higher your IP Profile and in turn the higher your Download Speed.

During the first 10 days of and Broadband installation the line goes through what is called the '10 day stabalisation period'. This is where your router "talks" to the exchange and based on the line conditions sets the maximum stable rate (MSR) for your connection and in turn a fault threshold rate (FTR).

Your connection would be classified as 'flapping' only if after the 10 days your DSL Connection Rate is below the FTR.

The first thing when you believe your DSL Connection Rate to be too slow is to connect to the router via the MICROFILTER directly into the Test Socket with is located behind the Master Socket face plate. see http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15772/c/426,427,2669

Once connected to the test port, you can access your router GUI (BT 2700/2701 is accessed by typing 192.168.1.254 into a web browser url) and it will display the DSL Connection Rate (Sync Rate/Speed) normally on the first page.

If this speed is considerably higher than the DSL Connection Rate previously conducted when running the BT Speedtester site speedtester.bt.com then this indicates an issue with your internal wiring within your premises or something connected to your internal wiring causing the lower DSL Connection Rate. The IP profile will then increase within 72 hours of seeing the higher DSL Connection Rate provided it stays stable at that rate for that period. You would then require to resolve your internal issue before removing your router from the test port as otherwise you will suffer the same problem again.

If the DSL Connection Rate does not increase when in the test socket and you are below your FTR then you would need to report the fault to BT for further investigation as this would then indicate an issue with either the physical phone line or an issue within the exchange itself.

---------------

FYI... I looked at your line in question and it is banded at 4Mb due to a large amount of noise errors. This happens automatically by the Dyncamic Line Management (DLM) system to provide a more stable connection however as a result you will recieve slower speeds.

If you complete the steps mentioned above ie: move the connection to the test socket. (although you will not see the DSL Connection Rate increase instantly, After 72 hours provided the line remains stable the banded profile would be removed automatically.

If the DSL Connection Rate has not increased after the 72 hour period please contact BT to log for investigation.

Please advise if this does / does not resolve your issue 🙂