cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business Smart Hub 2 Static IP Issues

BtBroadbandUser

Hi!

I've been trying to configure a remote connection for 5 managed devices on our corporate network, to do this we have purchased 5 static IPs.

These devices need their IP addressing to be manually configured, so I've assigned each one an IP address issued by BT, set the subnet to 255.255.255.248 and set the gateway as specified by BT. 

All devices and their MAC addresses are showing in the smart hub config page and are all green, but show no data transfer. If I go to - Advanced>Static IP  I can see that all of the devices are correctly assigned to the static IP. All options are greyed out and cannot be modified but they all look to be configured correctly.

I am able to ping the devices from the internet and get a response, but I am unable to connect through a web browser (Https) (times out).

I've tried disabling the firewall completely which didn't help and I've tried adding a port forwarding rule which didn't help either.

I've set up networks very similar to this recently using BTs TP Link routers they now supply to business and not had any issues so I don't know why with the Smart Hub 2 it's being so difficult (probably user error!) 

I've tried factory resetting the router and staying from scratch a few times and still have the same issues. 

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated, I'm far from an expert with networking so maybe I'm missing something incredibly obvious!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Kelper, 

Thanks for getting back, I think its an odd netmask because we have 5 static IPs and obviously first and last in the range can't be used, sorry if I've misunderstood your message.

I went back to this site today and my colleague managed to find a workaround by adding a port forwarding rule to each static IP. 

For anyone who stumbles across this we set external port to 444 (IP1) forwarded to internal 443 then 445 (IP2) forwarded to 443 and so on. With the Port forwarding suffix on the IP address we can now connect and monitor.

Not the best or most secure solution, but we can connect so the gaffers happy! 

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

kelper
Guru

Are you sure the IP addresses you gave your devices are compatible with the WAN IP and the subnet mask?

https://www.calculator.net/ip-subnet-calculator.html

i'm no expert but a mask of 255.255.255.248 looks odd to me.

Hi Kelper, 

Thanks for getting back, I think its an odd netmask because we have 5 static IPs and obviously first and last in the range can't be used, sorry if I've misunderstood your message.

I went back to this site today and my colleague managed to find a workaround by adding a port forwarding rule to each static IP. 

For anyone who stumbles across this we set external port to 444 (IP1) forwarded to internal 443 then 445 (IP2) forwarded to 443 and so on. With the Port forwarding suffix on the IP address we can now connect and monitor.

Not the best or most secure solution, but we can connect so the gaffers happy! 

Thanks!