cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Guest WiFi via Discs

Nick_HF

I have recently got BT Business Broadband and have the BT Business Smart Hub. I also have several Wi-Fi Discs, as it was my intention to use the BT Guest Free WiFi around the building to allow visitors to connect.

I have a good setup working with the discs, however they don't appear to broadcast the Guest WiFi, only the private network, and so in the above context don't therefore allow me to provide the guest WiFi around the building, as their advertising seemed to indicate I could do.

I have attempted to chat to an agent online but they couldn't understand properly my query and seemed to indeed indicate that the Guest WiFi does not work via the Discs.  

Does anyone else use the Guest WiFi via the discs, or have I been mis-sold the product in terms of how its led me to believe I could when its not possible?

7 REPLIES 7

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Nick_HF

BT Guest Wi-Fi will only broadcast from the BT Business Smart Hub directly so it will not work over Wi-Fi discs.

Beth

^BethM

euromediservice
Is it possible to set separate password for the BT Guest WiFi?

PaulC1
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Euromediaservice, 

BT Guest WiFi is public network and has no functionality of setting passwords. Here is a helpful guide on what BT Guest WiFi can do and how it works. 

I hope this helps

^PaulC1

kelper
Guru

Why can't you give your guests the access details to your wifi account?  Or set up a router behind router system?  Then you can offer a new wifi network as you see fit.  I have a router-behind -router network that gives me a VPN into the USA for streaming Pandora in the UK.  Or set a phone up as a a tethering wifi?

Raulston

It's simple to set up a separate Wi-Fi network for guests and share access details via the app. Go to the Guest Wi-Fi tab and tap on the slider button to turn Guest Wi-Fi on and then follow the on-screen set-up instructions. You must create a password to enable your Guest Wi-Fi network.

Jim2

Thanks BethM,

Our Guest Wi-Fi wouldn't reach to our Interview Rooms. When we contacted BT they also did not understand what we were talking about and sent us another (useless) Wi-Fi disc. A waste of 2 weeks!

You are the first person to say that Guest Wi-Fi will only work from the Hub. We now need to have our Hub moved to bring our Interview rooms within it's range.

Jim

Jim2

I'm in the same position as you.  I set up the Wi-Fi disc in the ceiling of our remotest Interview room only to find that it would not broadcast the Guest Wi-Fi. BT sent a second disc which also didn't work. Why don't their Agents have a grasp of their system?

Jim