cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create VLANs with BT Business Smart Hub 6

number11

Hi all, I currently use a 3rd party Draytek router instead of our BT business hub 5 so that I can create VLANs to isolate the internet-enabled credit card teminals at our business location. I'm being offered a BT Business Smart Hub 6 as part of a new broadband package and I wondered does anyone know if you can use this to create VLANs? If not, does anyone have experience of using this in front of a smart switch with VLAN cabability to achieve what I'm after (or have a better solution)?

I would just carry on using the Draytek as it works really well, but the new 4G Assure service looks like a good idea and requires the new Smart Hub 6 to work.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

RyanJames
BT Employee
BT Employee

Hi number11

I have spoken with our second line teams on our end, and unfortunately you would not be able to configure VLANs on the business SmartHub, so you would have to persist with the 3rd party router. I am sorry about that, I realise that this is not compatible with the 4G assure service/ There may be a way of condiguring the BT router on the network with third party equipment whilst having your VLAN tagging through the Draytek, but this is not really something we would support or have knowledge on setting up.

There may be someone else on the forum who could have a solution, but as it stands if you wish to use the 4G you would use the Smart Hub, but if you want the VLAN capability you would have to stick with the Draytek.

Regards

Ryan

number11

Hi Ryan, thanks a lot for the response, that's helpful to know (if not quite the answer I was hoping for!)

The main reason I want to set up VLANs is to be able to pass my PCI certification as our credit card machines are connected through the router. At the moment I get asked if my credit card machines are isolated from the rest of the network - I can say yes to this by putting them on a separate VLAN. Given that the Business Smart Hub is designed for business, how do other small businesses use it with their credit card machines, or is this hub just not designed to be used in retail businesses at all?

Any more information on this would be a great help. Thanks.

RyanJames
BT Employee
BT Employee

Hi again number11

In terms of card machines, we get a lot of customers who use these with the BT routers. Occasionally we get calls regarding PCI compliance, with customers advising us that their card machine people have tested and found that we have open ports. These ports in the routers firewall usually wind up being ones that need to stay open for firmware updates etc, but even with those ports being open we do advise that all of our routers are fully PCI compliant and therefore you should be able to use it with the BT router without needing the VLANs.

I am only speaking form the experience I have had however, and of course it could vary depending on your card machine, but to my knowledge you should just be able to run it on our router and still pass compliance. Let me know if you have any other questions about that though, I may be able to dig up the open ports if you need to provide them to your card machine company to prove PCI compliance.

Regards

Ryan       

regchan

already done this and no Vlan tagging ability you could just use it as a bridge connection instead i use this with my edge router to hook up to get internet and everythings configed here

stanwoods

I was wondering exactly how you did that with your edge router?

Regards

Stan Woods