cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up bridge mode on the BT business hub

alastair
Grand Guru
Turning the 2 wire router into a modem

Go to Settings> Broadband> Link Configuration and set the following settings…

VPI: 0 VCI: 38

ATM Encapsulation: Bridged LLC

ATM PVC Search: Disabled (unchecked)

Connection Type: Direct IP (DHCP or Static)

Save the settings

Go to Settings > Broadband > Link Configuration > Disable routing at the bottom then save settings again.
=~~= All Glory to the Hypnotoad! =~~=
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

a-hill
Grand Master

Just to add to that, the Voyager 220v has IP Extension mode but can also be set to standard bridge mode.

Run through the quick set up guide and set the following settings..

VPI 0 VCI 38

Connection Type: Bridging

Encapsulation: LLC/Snap

Configure WAN IP: None

DHCP: Off

Set the connecting device (VPN firewall etc) to authenticate the session with your broadband details over PPPoE

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

a-hill
Grand Master

Just to add to that, the Voyager 220v has IP Extension mode but can also be set to standard bridge mode.

Run through the quick set up guide and set the following settings..

VPI 0 VCI 38

Connection Type: Bridging

Encapsulation: LLC/Snap

Configure WAN IP: None

DHCP: Off

Set the connecting device (VPN firewall etc) to authenticate the session with your broadband details over PPPoE

spank
Grand Guru

A bit more info for the FAQ.

The internet light on the BT router will never go on set up this way which is correct, if it is on then routing is still enabled. 

A BT Voyager router can be purchased through the BT helpdesk and will act as a modem, in many cases this is a far better solution.

Voyager Instructions:

1. With the router connected, open a browser. Type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press Enter.
  2. In the left hand menu select Advanced and then in the centre of the screen that appears select Advanced. You should now see the left hand advanced menu expand with several options.
  3. In the option list select Internet. This might bring up a user name and password box.
  4. If so type in admin for the user name and admin for the password and press OK. This should now display the Internet screen.
  5. In the Internet screen click on the red pen under the Edit icon.
  6. This will start the Edit wizard and display the Configure ATM PVC screen.
  7. Press Next and the Configure Connection Type screen will be displayed. Press Next and the Configure WAN IP Settings screen will be displayed.
  8. At the bottom of the Configure WAN IP Settings screen put a tick in the PPP IP Extensions box. Press apply and then at the next screen press Finish.
  9. The router will now reboot.
  10. The Voyager 220v is now set to pass the PEER ADDRESS/SINGLE STATIC WAN IP address straight through to the connected device. Please note that as a result VOIP and all LAN options are now disabled.

If you cannot find the PPP IP Extensions box, the firmware on the Voyager 220V will require the Firmware upgraded

As for the firewall setup you need to make sure of the following

• CHAP is the authentication protocol.
  • NAT is switched off
  • You can use NAT Pools if you need to use DHCP or want to include a private subnet.
  • Each PC that requires a static is manually assigned through TCP/IP
Message Edited by spank on 28-08-2009 09:25 AM
Message Edited by spank on 28-08-2009 09:26 AM

redcitrus

Have BT upgraded the firmware in the BT2700HGV routers?

I'm trying to set ours to bridge mode, using a Netgear UTM5 to handle routing, but whenever I try to set the existing router just to be a modem, I get the following error message:

"The selected ATM Encapsulation is not compatable with this connection type. PPPoE, PPPoA or Routed IPoA are not supported in bridge mode."

no matter what options I set in the DSL and ATM, Connection Type etc.

I also can't just set the UTM5 device to the DMZ, as the BT router only allows this to be achieved with a dynamic internal IP address, and the UTM5 unit relies on having a fixed IP.

Any ideas?

Fiona
Grand Guru

Hi

I have had a discussion with the technical team and they said that the process specified in the 1st post has to be followed exactly. They would only expect that error to come up if you progressed to the 2nd stage of disabling routing straight away without saving the settings from the 1st stage. The method should be as follows…

Stage 1:
Go to Settings> Broadband> Link Configuration and set the following settings…

VPI: 0 VCI: 38
ATM Encapsulation: Bridged LLC
ATM PVC Search: Disabled (unchecked)
Connection Type: Direct IP (DHCP or Static)

SAVE THE SETTINGS

Stage 2:
Go back to the same section and disable routing at the bottom then save settings again

I hope this helps

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

If you like any posts, please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

redcitrus

Hi Fiona

OK, that seems to have worked - many thanks for your help.

I have another question...now that the router is working in bridged mode, this seems to have disabled our BT VoIP line; I assume that this is inevitable? If not, how do I reactivate it? I can't log in to the BT2700HGV any more using the previous IP address, and I've tried connecting to the unit directly with a USB cable, also to no avail.

Obviously the wireless is not working also, as it's now on the WAN side of our new firewall / router, so I'm going to have to buy a wireless access point to place within the LAN instead.

Thanks

Russell

alastair
Grand Guru

bridge mode  turns the 2700 into nothing more than a modem so i wouldnt expect the voip to function since all routing capabilities are removed in bridge mode.

not sure about the wireless though.

i know you can access the 192 address via ethernet but i dont know if the wireless is disabled at that point

=~~= All Glory to the Hypnotoad! =~~=

gireland1

hi, i have a bt business hub and want to use it as a bridge to a bt home hub, can you tell me exactly how i go about this? starting from what wires need to be where and when you say to go on "settings", what are the settings of? the hub? because if so how do i go about finding the right page to access these settings. if you could just start at the very very beginning, do i need to have the software for the business hub installed on my remote desktop? cheers

Tracey
Guru

Hi gireland1,

Sorry to read about the problems you are having.

I have had a look into this for you and unfortunately this can not be done with a BT Home Hub, it can only be done with a non ADSL router.

Hope this is of help

Tracey

BT Business Forum Moderator

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.

gemcka

Hi,

I am trying to set up my 2700 hub as a bridge - but I can't find the disbale routing button.

Is this related to a firmware version - I have v.5.29.107.19

If it's not possible - where can I download the latest version?

Many Thanks

Gemcka