cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up bridge mode on the BT business hub

alastair
Grand Guru
Turning the 2 wire router into a modem

Go to Settings> Broadband> Link Configuration and set the following settings…

VPI: 0 VCI: 38

ATM Encapsulation: Bridged LLC

ATM PVC Search: Disabled (unchecked)

Connection Type: Direct IP (DHCP or Static)

Save the settings

Go to Settings > Broadband > Link Configuration > Disable routing at the bottom then save settings again.
=~~= All Glory to the Hypnotoad! =~~=
22 REPLIES 22

Rarr

Hey Gemcka,

To disable routing on the Business 2700 router, please follow these steps.

Open an Internet explorer page and enter the router IP address into the address bar, then press enter.

Then go to Settings > Broadband > Link Configuration, and at the very bottem of the page you will find a heading "disable routing", There is a box that requires unticking there, called Routing.

If your still having problems getting this done , drop a call to the support desk at BT, they will be able to get  a remote session and assist you 🙂

Hope this helps.

gemcka

Hi,

i don't see those menus on my 2700!

I see system,  broadband Link, Local Network, voice Network, Firewall

In Broadband link  - advanced settings   I can see all the other settings mentiones such as the DSL settings & Broadband network settings - and the others that need changing for the bridge setup - but no routing settings..

Do you think it is because the firmware needs updating?

what is the latest version of the Firmware?

Mopey

Fiona,

I followed your instructions exactly and was able to put my new BT business Model: 2701HGV-C, (Hardware Version: 2701-100630-008, Firmware Version: 6.3.9.41-plus.tm) into bridge mode and use it as a modem only. I connected to the WAN just fine, using my separate router for log-in. 

My problem is that every time I cycle power or reboot my BT 2701 it fails to save all of the settings.  Specifically, Connection Type: Direct IP (DHCP or Static) is changed back to its original setting and it reenables the routing by rechecking the Routing box. 

I change conecction type back to Direct IP (then select "Save")  I get the settings change confirmation, then I uncheck the routing (select "Save") and get the settings change confirmation again.  My router logs in again and I'm back on the internet again.....UNTIL the hub is rebooted or power cycled .  Then the hub returns to its original settings for connection type and routing.  The other settings changed to put the 2701 into bridge mode, VPI: 0 VCI: 38, ATM Encapsulation: Bridged LLC, ATM PVC Search: Disabled (unchecked) stay changed and don't need to be reselected.

I have done multiple saves and several times have started all the way back at square one by doing a factory reset from the web interface (and  by using the red reset button.)  All to no avail.  Why won't my hub stay in bridge mode after power cycling or a simple restart?

Mopey

cnborissow

I have exactly the same problem as Mopey and have tried this on 2 different BT 2701HGV-c routers. We want to use the BT router in bridge mode connected to a Cisco router which contains the BT login information and establishes a point to point VPN connection.
This set-up works with the older BT business hub (2700 series) and I have had no issues with these. However, with the 2701HGV-C, following loss of power to the router certain settings return to the default settings. As with Mopey these are specifically: Connection Type: Direct IP (DHCP or Static) is changed back to its original setting and it reenables the routing by rechecking the Routing box.

As stated earleir I have tried this on 2 different 2701HGV-C routers so it would appear that either I have 2 faulty devices or there is an inherant problem with these devices.

Can anyone help?

hitched

Hi,

I've got my 2701HGV-C set up in Bridge mode fine by following the instruction above (thanks) but I need to set a fixed IP address in the 192.168.2.X range because otherwise it clashes with my office IP range when I VPN in.

The router has now assigned itself the IP 192.168.1.254, does anyone know how to change this now its in bridge mode?

Thanks

Dean

KeithColman

I too have been able to setup the 2701HGV-C in bridge mode but also see that the Connection Type and Routing settings revert to defaults after a power cycle.  I have four of these devices and they all do it, so it must be a fault with the firmware, not the hardware.  BT asked me to perform a factory defaults reset, which I have done, using both the software reset and the hardware reset button. The problem remains.  When doing this I observed that the units still keep their passwords and hub names, so clearly the factory default reset button is only doing half a job....

helpinghands
Power User

There is a known issue with the 2701 losing bridge settings every time you reboot the router. If you call the Technical team and ask to be put through to Ethernet support, they will send you the BT business hub 2700 to resolve the issue.

KeithColman

Spoiler

Thanks for the information. BT have just agreed to replace my four 2701's with 2700's.

KeithColman

2700's arrived and installed and they work, even after being powered off/on.  However, my download speed is now just 8Mb/s whereas with the 2701 I used to get 17 Mb/s........

mike_ess

I have successfully configured both the Business Hub 2700 & newer Business Hub 2701 for use in bridge mode. Both work as expected. However, if the 2701 looses power it 'forgets' all the settings and reverts to the as supplied settings.

I currently have around 40 users with this configuration and each day I invariably have to talk a couple of users through the re-configuration process.

Is there a fix for this??

Regards

Mike