cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SH2 bridging mode - login and enabling

pjbee

This is my second SH2 - I can connect in router mode and access the Internet but I need to get into bridging mode and use it as a modem. I can get to 'click' the switch in the access panel to enable bridge mode but then the 'saving' circling glyph starts and never stops, the front light goes orange and never changes - end of story. This happened when an open reach engineer came and checked everything as this is a new installation and he suggested getting a replacement SH2 - the same happens on the replacement.

Firstly this seems to be a relatively common problem on this forum so any clues much appreciated - reverting back to a previous SH2 at previous premises (which worked and which I will try at the new location) it is in the bridge mode but now I don't know the IP to access it short of a factory reset. Doing an IPconfig /all gives me my IP but I cannot see the SH2 unless I am looking in the wrong place and I would like to be able to get into it to see the settings - thanks for any pointers . . .

11 REPLIES 11

kelper
Guru

Are you connecting via ethernet?  In Bridge mode there's no wifi.  

SamG
Administrator
Administrator

Hi pjbee,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issue accessing bridge mode.

If you're still having these issues, please send me a PM by heading to my profile and hitting "send a message". I'll need to take some of your account information and then I can have our technical team look into this.

Thanks,

^SamG

rbjtech

My understanding is this is exactly what should happen..

In bridge mode - you are effectively turning off all the network layer services (including local DHCP) and turning it into a modem - your WAN address is then presented on the WAN internet interface on the SH2.

You need to then plug this into your own router to provide NAT, DHCP, DNS, Firewall etc etc 

The orange light on the SH2 means it's in Modem mode.

You obviously lose connectivity to it on a LAN when doing this - but it does seem odd that it doesn't maintain a fixed local IP address so you can 'confirm' it's in modem mode with a direct isolated network connection.

I don't use the SH2, so can't confirm these details I', afraid.

If you are using FTTP - then there is no need to use the SH2 at all - just plug the Ethernet from the Openreach ONT directly into your 3rd party equipment and use a PPoE connection.  You will lose any BT cloud voice services however as they have a dependency on the SH2. 

kelper
Guru

That is not quite correct.  The interface is still available, if you connect via ethernet.  The WAN port, labelled 'broadband' still goes to the wall socket and the new router is connected to LAN 1.  The router has to be set to PPPoA or PPEoE depending on whether you have fibre or copper in your place. (PPPoA for ADSL connections and PPPoE for fibre connections.)

kelper
Guru

Ironically, I can't now get my BTB Smart hub working in bridge mode.  The led goes white, which is correct and I can access the GUI via ethernet, it just never gets a broadband connection.

rbjtech

Right ok - thanks @kelper - Why this is not listed on the BT support pages is beyond me - but it still doesn't make total sense.  I don't use the SH2, but it crops up so many times on this forum and as general queries on the internet ..

Once in 'Modem Mode' -

• If using the 'broadband SH2' connection (ie ADSL/VDSL) then
    • Broadband - gets connected to the BT socket (PSTN)
    • LAN 1 - becomes the WAN Port (needing a PPPoA connection)
    • LAN 2-4 - become the local isolated IP's ? (192.168.x.x - via DHCP - static IP only ?)
    • WAN - not used
    • 3rd Party WAN router interface connects to LAN 1 on the SH2
  • If using the 'WAN  SH2' connection (ie FTTP) - and need to retain Cloud Voice / Hybrid then
    • WAN - gets connected to the Openreach ONT
    • LAN 1 - becomes the WAN Port (needing a PPPoE connection)
    • LAN 2-4 - become the local isolated IP's ? (192.168.x.x - via DHCP - static IP only ?)
    • 3rd Party WAN router interface connects to LAN 1 on the SH2
  • If using the 'WAN  SH2' connection (ie FTTP) - and no Cloud Voice / Hybrid required then
    • Put the SH2 back in the box (best place for it..) ..
    • 3rd Party WAN interface connects to Ethernet on Openreach ONT - connect via PPPoE

Is that correct ? 🤔

kelper
Guru

There is no port labelled WAN.  It is labelled Broadband on SH1 and SH2.  I thought the led should be orange, but, apparently, steady white indicates bridge mode.  I can definitely connect in bridge mode and see the whole GUI, it just does not pick up a broadband connection.  I'll keep trying.

kelper
Guru

I was talking to BTB IT Support this morning.  The hub in bridge mode, will not get a broadband connection until your new router is configured with your BTB user name and password.  This is unique to you and is NOT the generic one embedded in your smarthub.  My usernam is in this format M******@hg7.btclick.com and my password in this format Z#bt*********

SamG can give you yours.

I will test this tomorrow.  

The alternative is to ditch the BTB hub entirely and connect a Draytek modem router directly to the wall socket.

kelper
Guru

With the SH1 in bridge mode my other router is working fine.  I can access the GUI on the SH1 via internet, but it says broadband disconnected and I can't access the internet.  I have ADSL, so I  had to set my other router to PPPoE and enter my own BTB username and password as above.