cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook no longer connects to Business Email Lite

Laurence3123

Using Outlook 365 to connect to Business Email Lite as POP3.

Thursday 19 January 2023, around 4pm, saw an upgrade (I believe) and since then the password request box keeps on popping up.

Webmail works and so does Windows Mail, using same password and port numbers as Outlook 365.

Have tried setting up new accounts in case of account specific issue, but all emails on the domain using POP3 now have the same issue, starting last Thursday .

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

3 REPLIES 3

rachelgomez123
Power User

In Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013, or Outlook 2016, choose File.

Choose Account Settings > Account Settings.

On the Email tab, choose your account (profile), and then choose Repair.

Note: The Repair option isn't available if you're using Outlook 2016 to connect to an Exchange account.

Follow the prompts in the wizard, and when you’re done, restart Outlook.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Laurence3123

So, as many others have found out, Microsoft, who run emails for BT, have switched off POP3 and IMAP so that emails clients other that web mail no longer work. The two options are to either upgrade to Microsoft Exchange at some £4 per seat per month, or leave BT for another provider who still allow POP3 or IMAP.

The email management section of business.bt is now virtually useless as the ability to add email addresses still exists, but those email addresses will only work with web mail (OWA), but not with any client, including Outlook 365.

Laurence3123

Thanks rachelgomez123, it was really kind of you to take the time to try and help.

I'm using Outlook 365, so it's regularly updated.

As you probably know by now, the issue is Microsoft switching off POP3 and IMAP and the problem occurs in most client programmes including Outlook 365 and Microsoft Mail. The options are to change to Exchange or leave, if I want more than OWA.

It seems once again to be a money making exercise under the cloak of customer safety.