cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retaining BT Connect email address

PatrickCoughlin

BT managers please can you confirm the process for retaining a BT connect email address when you cancel your BT Business account.

I've called your call centre 5 times and 3 of 5 say you can retain it, 2 of 5 say you cant. 

Thanks 

Patrick 

17 REPLIES 17

markp
Grand Guru

Hi there PatrickCoughlin,

With your @btconnect.com mail addresses that came free with your broadband package, if you cancel this package this cancels the email addresses.

if you wish to retain your email address you would need to keep your business broadband with us.

Markp

PatrickCoughlin

Thanks, again I'm still not getting consistent information from BT. 

Other forum responses suggest you can keep it as did the agent I just called in your business cancel team as well as your business team chat agent. 

"you can keep using your @btconnect.com email address, as long as you have a paid for service on the account to keep it active, we would put a hosting pack on your account which would be billed monthly/quartley depending on your prefernce."

"A hosting pack is £6 a month, you can contact sales to get it added to the account, or if you want you can send me your broadband details through a private message and I can resond to you and get it added to the account doe you."

"it is possible to tranfers your business phone and broadband over to a home/domestics account, but you are not able to transfer the the Business (@btconnect.com) email address. This is due to Business and Domestics having different servers.

To keep your Business (@btconnect.com) email address active after you have moved to a home/domestic account, you would need to purcshase a hosting pack to keep the address active.'

It seems to be being used as leverage to prevent customers from cancelling. 

I'm going to see what Ofcom's position is on this topic as there's not information coming directly from BT themsleves. 

markp
Grand Guru

Hi PatrickCoughlin

it used to be the case that we could add a hositng pack to the account to keep them active.  Our policy's have changed and we are no longer able to do this.

If you want to keep your @btconnect.com email addresses active with BT Business you would need to keep your Business broadband with BT.

Markp

Dusty
I had an interesting conversation earlier today which seems to contradict this, I wanted to keep my business broadband but change the name on the account. I have the infinity package and was told that the only way to change the name on the account would be to close the active account and start a new one but, and it's a big but!! Doing this I will loose my btconnect email address and loose the infinity as there is a waiting list. How on earth is this possible? I do not want to leave but unless I can keep the btconnect email address and the infinity which I already have then there is little point in staying with bt, this just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Anyone shed any light on this ridiculous situation
Cheers dusty

pfisher123

This is strange. Just a couple of weeks ago i was told that it was possible to keep the xyz@btconnect by adding on any alternative service. the cheapest being the security package. Why the conflict of oppinion on this from BT staff? Do you have a document that states this change in policy that you can point us to?

jaycee001

I left BT Business about 8 years ago and my btconnect email address is still working.

jtanna
Power User

@jaycee001 wrote:

I left BT Business about 8 years ago and my btconnect email address is still working.

You are lucky.  I had a BTBroadband Business and I also had a domain registred with them.  When I registered the domain with them, I was told that I MUST HAVE a BTConnect Account with them as they don't allow Microsoft Account such as hotmail, outlook or MSN.  So I opened a btconnect account and now after several years they have suspended my btconnect account without informing me.

Now I'll have a problem renewing my domain without an account so I had a chat (online of course) with their customer service and they will look into this and contact me again by phone or by my temporary eMail tomorrow (5th October, 2018) so I'll just wait and see.

I might have to transfer my domain to some other registrar but I must know soon as the domain will expire early next year.  They seem to suspend all accounts when there is no billable service.  In other words, they couldn't care less for people who are paying nothing.  Do you blame them?  BT is a commercial enterprise and directors need to have their millions in bonuses.  Why should they care for carpet beggers?

Retchtub

I wish to cancell all my BT acounts.

If you speak to residential they will tel you that you can pay for a hosting servive -BT premium email to keep your email . I want to PAY.

HOever when you speak to the business side they will not allow you to pay to keep your email a/c.even if you also have a resisdential broadband line.

They are a customer friendly business.

Retchtub

Should have been :

They are NOT customer friendly business.