20-08-2020 05:19 PM
I took a call where there was a customer explaining that his internet was down and had been down for three weeks. He would have a 100/100mbps connection and was a simple/regular user. He calmly asked for an update regarding his errand.
I explained to his that his errand has gotten stuck and been transferred to a 3rd line group that handles systematic failures that makes orders get stuck. His problem began when a worker sold him a 1gbps internet speed with an offer. The system disconnected his 100/100Mbps connection and started the 1Gbps connection. Only to get stuck because the system found that the customer needed a physical technician to go to his dedicated switch in the station and change his connection to a switch that could handle 1Gbps connections. The technician had done his work but in turn, the customer needed a brand new fiber converter, as his old Orexis fth-3 could only handle 100Mbps.
The customer with this knowledge decided to cancel his order and go back to 100/100Mbps, which one of my colleagues helped him with. Note: The order never got status updated to delivered because the customer never got the 1Gbps.
There was an ongoing systematic change job from 100/100 to 1Gbps which is labeled as an execution job, which can not be canceled, it has to be finished before we attempt to change or remove it. Because my colleague tried to change it before the execution order was finnished, it got stuck and sent to our 3rd line that takes these orders manually. They had 8 weeks of backlogs due to another systematic order problem.
After i explained this to the customer he became distressed and almost started crying and told me that the mobile gsm network solution does not work because he does not have signal. He is in a wheelshair and only has his computer and TV going for him. For three weeks he had lived with incredibly bad gsm internet and tried to watch series on the lowest quality, buffered for hours. Sometimes he would get error on the website midway through buffer and he had to start over. Even loading basic sites for read took time.
So i felt sympathy ofc. I told him to hold on and started to lurc in the systems and see if i could do anything. I looked at his connection in the operation system and thought that its likely possible to flat out remove the connection instead of letting it stay and be manually handled by the 3rd line colleagues. So i said to the customer that i will try something and it might work, or might not work.
This is beyond the regular job a 1st line tech support does. This is the realm of backoffice stuff. However, because i've worked at this company for 7 years i have more experience than about 90% of the 1st line employees in all systems related to fiber connections.
I went into the system and pulled some strings in the dates and went into the manual add/remove page and managed to remove the 1Gbps profile. After that i just ran a regular connection job on a 100/100 and got it connected.
I went back to the customer after i saw the ip adress pop up and i saw the mac-adress from the router. I said: Check your connection, try to use the internet from your router. The customer became overjoyed and ive never gotten so much praise from one guy. It was humbling and almost embarrassing. He wanted to talk to my boss and he went and wrote a letter of appreciation. I didn't want him to do that because i thought i would get in trouble for overstepping my authority and service edge. But he insisted.
The story ended well, i saved the customer from another 5 weeks of dial up quality internt and i didnt get a slap on the hands. Sometimes you just let the more humane side of you take the steeringwheel.