cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home2.btconnect.com - malware for the third time this year!

agoraservices

I have yet again recieved a email from Google to tell me that my website has been suspended from their search engine due to malware being detected on home2.btconnect.com.  Is there no security in place to prevent this from happening?  Now I am likely to lose customers and I guess that many others who are hosted on the same server will have the same problem.  Lost customers mean lost profit, which means less money to pay BT's bills.  Are BT going to compensate customers?  I would guess not!

This is the third time in five months.

7 REPLIES 7

markp
Grand Guru

Hi there agoraservices,

I have been speaking to a colleague in the hosting team about your issue. When we access your website through IE ot loads without an issue, we get the red screen when viewing the website through Firefox (Mozilla).

The issue is with the browser, If you go to this article you will see a link to "I’ve confirmed that my site is safe, how do I get it removed from the lists?"

This then gives you a form to fill in to get your domain/site removed from the Firefox (Mozilla) Forgery lists.

Markp

Plumly
Grand Master

Hi, 

If you want to stop this 100% then move away from the free Webspace and get webhosting which is directly linked to your domain, 

This means that no longer will the behaviour of people on other home2.btconnect.com/ webspace have an impact on yours, 

Thanks
Plumly

agoraservices

The problem is not with my own webpages, it is with the home2.btconnect.com site in general.  There is obviously someone being hosted on the server who has malware on their pages and then all other websites hosted on the home2.btconnect.com server are tarred with the same brush.  I would not mind if it was not that often and did not last for long, but it seems that the people BT use to host these sites do not regularly scan for issues.  When there is a problem nothing seems to be done about it.  This is the third time since february that this has occured, it's time BT moved the hosting back to BT and actually did something to earn the money that customers are paying.

I have looked at the link you have given, but if the problem is not on my webpages how am I to clear the problem, I simply do not have access to the effected files.  As such I can't clean up the site and request a review again.  The only people who can solve this problem are the hosting server administrators.

agoraservices

Dear Plumly,

I have looked at this before, not so sure I want to pay extra to BT for this service, beginning to think I would be better to look elsewhere for hosting.  We had the problem a couple of times over the years, but so far this year has been bad enough to consider changing.

We are steel fabricators, specailising in silos and bulk storage.  As such our website is not an online shop, each contract is different, each job is specific.  So if the website is down for a couple of hours or even a day it is not really too much of a problem, but put up the big red screen of danger and I would guess potential customers are not likely to contact us, which is a problem.

Will have another look at the alternative hosting option again, but think we will probably change provider.  We have four domains that redirect to our website, would not be difficult to move.

markp
Grand Guru

Hi agoraservices,

the webspace you are using  home2.btconnect.com, what we call your free space, as this is 50Mb of online storage/hosting that comes as part of your Business broadband package.  This space is not deisgned around being used for a website, it states this when you activated it.

To stop the malware warning from affecting your site, you can look at moving the website to a paid for hosting, which is on different servers than our free webspace.

Markp

agoraservices

Dear markp,

Thanks for the reply.  If the webspace is not for a website then what is it for?  We have had this for many many years, a minimum 15 years of the top of my head.  Certainly was not sold to me as not being suitable for a website and I can't say that said anything to the contrary.  I am now looking at the possibility of move the hosting, but not sure about the BT web hosting though.  It sounds like I would have to use a template from BT, but the BT website does not show any examples, are these templates completely able to be customised?  Are there any limits to the number of pages?  I can't see the point of pay £24 a month, but may consider the £8 a month.  I already have 4 domains registered, which currently redirect to our website, can this still be done?

markp
Grand Guru

Hi agoraservices

with the paid for hosting you would not need to use the templates, you would be able to keep the current site by downloading it from where it is and then re-uploading it to the new hosting. Yes you could just have the hosting linked with one of your domains then point the other domains to that one via DNS A record repoints, so they all show the same website.

Markp