cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Mail - BT Connect & Office 365

GarryA

Hi - I have regular problems sending email via my BT Connect account. I use Mail on an apple macbook pro. I recieve incoming email usually withou any problems.

I have the outgoing server as smtp.office365.com, ssl is set and the port 587. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Also sometimes it resets itself to smtp.btconnect.com for some reason and will not send.

Very frustrating - can someone help please.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GarryA

Thanks to everyone for responding - I think (certainly hope( that this is now fixed. In case it helps I will explain how.

1) Ensure the right setting are entered - I did this for both incoming and out going servers and as other people have suggested the Mail application on the MAc changes them.

2) untick the box that reads "automatically detect and maintain account setting on the advanced tab in the mail preference settings

3) Do the same on the smtp server settings - the same tick box appears there 

Both tickboxes need to be unticked

Thanks all

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

markp
Grand Guru

Hi GarryA,

If Mac mail is reverting the server name back to smtp.btconnect.com, it looks like the program is not remembering the settings.

What to do is try changing the outgoing sever back to smtp.office365.com and monitor the program to see if it does revert back to smtp.btconnect.com, if it does I would contact Apple to see if there is any updates needed for your Mac Mail, or if they know why it is changing the details back.

Markp

GarryA

Thanks markp - the outgoing server now seems to have settled - not sure why but it has. I now have the reverse problem in that the incoming mail server has changed and it greyed out to pop3.btconnect.com and wont allow me to change it. 

Any further advice please?

markp
Grand Guru

Hi GarryA,

your incoming server needs to be set to outlook.office365.com using port 995 with SSL on.  We have seen issues with Mac Mail recently when the IOS has been updated to Yosemite, that it has been forcing Mac Mail to use the old server details.

Markp

GarryA

Thanks to everyone for responding - I think (certainly hope( that this is now fixed. In case it helps I will explain how.

1) Ensure the right setting are entered - I did this for both incoming and out going servers and as other people have suggested the Mail application on the MAc changes them.

2) untick the box that reads "automatically detect and maintain account setting on the advanced tab in the mail preference settings

3) Do the same on the smtp server settings - the same tick box appears there 

Both tickboxes need to be unticked

Thanks all

GarryA

Now unsolved!

Sadly the problem has reoccurred - this time all the settings are correct - but I cannot send email - says cant connect to smtp.office365.com - deeply frustrating 

can anyone offer further help please?