cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT SMTP for sending mail through outlook?

thefurmanuk
Power User

Hi,

What is the SMTP address for sending mail through outlook for a non BT domain?  On be it was smtp.bethere.co.uk or something.  I did a search and found mail.btconnect.com but the mail is stuck in the outbox.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

markp
Grand Guru

Hi thefurmanuk,

To be able to send mail through a non BT hosted domain name, you first need to get the domain name added to your business broadband account for mail relay. This is because we only allow authorised domians to use servers. This can be done by contacting the helpdesk if the regsitration details of the domain name are the same as the broadband account.  If the whois details of the domain do not match that of the BT business account you will need to follow the process listed below.

Whois details match broadband account contact us

Whois details do not match broadband account follow this process:-

Send a fax to 01382 201594, With the following details and our Team will add the Domain Name for you

1. The domain name to be added for Mail relay and a short note requesting this.

2. Your WM Account number (e.g. WM12345678) or Broadband telephone number

3. Your security answer

4. Proof of ownership of the domain (either a note of registration from nominet - www.nominet.org.uk - for .uk domains or ICANN - www.icann.org - for .com .net .org etc. domains, or an invoice of purchase from your current host).

This process can take up to 24 hours.  If you are unable to fax send and email to  admin@btnames.com

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

thefurmanuk
Power User

I have tried smtp.btconnect.com also and it is not sending.  Do I need to login to send?  I am getting error 0x800CCC78

thefurmanuk
Power User

Searching the error code in the forum brought up Mail Relay, I have to call to request it.

Why is that?  In all the years I have had internet I have never had to do that.

Great 1st day with BT.

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9/c/1995,2003,2946,2997

markp
Grand Guru

Hi thefurmanuk,

To be able to send mail through a non BT hosted domain name, you first need to get the domain name added to your business broadband account for mail relay. This is because we only allow authorised domians to use servers. This can be done by contacting the helpdesk if the regsitration details of the domain name are the same as the broadband account.  If the whois details of the domain do not match that of the BT business account you will need to follow the process listed below.

Whois details match broadband account contact us

Whois details do not match broadband account follow this process:-

Send a fax to 01382 201594, With the following details and our Team will add the Domain Name for you

1. The domain name to be added for Mail relay and a short note requesting this.

2. Your WM Account number (e.g. WM12345678) or Broadband telephone number

3. Your security answer

4. Proof of ownership of the domain (either a note of registration from nominet - www.nominet.org.uk - for .uk domains or ICANN - www.icann.org - for .com .net .org etc. domains, or an invoice of purchase from your current host).

This process can take up to 24 hours.  If you are unable to fax send and email to  admin@btnames.com

OldWolf
Guru

@thefurmanuk wrote:

Searching the error code in the forum brought up Mail Relay, I have to call to request it.

Why is that?  In all the years I have had internet I have never had to do that.

Great 1st day with BT.

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9/c/1995,2003,2946,2997

Hi,

Just thought I'd point out that if you've used your own domains on other provider's servers without having to make any formal request then you've been sending email through insecure servers, as these would be considered as open relays.

It actually amazes me how many people think that providers should just allow sending from any domain whether they've given it permission or not.  No wonder there are 200 billion spam emails sent every day...

Would you mind if I nipped round to your house and borrowed your car so I can drive to work?

Cheers.

Dave A

thefurmanuk
Power User

Yeah no problem, the key is under the mat.

I wouldn't mind if I could get it working properly, my outgoing mail will sometimes go and sometimes not and mail is taking 20-30 minutes to get to sender that I know of.

I was working with support yesterday trying to get it working properly but it is only sending intermittently.

thefurmanuk
Power User

Thank you BT Support for fixing the problem.  Not sure what it was but it was escalated and it is working now.

parti

test

29a

I thinnk that the reason that no other ISP requires the "proof of ownership" details, and faxes etc. that BT requires is probably that all other companies simply use the "whois" command to check that the details agree.

OldWolf
Guru

Hi 29a,

I love that BT obviously does it differently to everyone else because they're just trying to be awkward.  Please think before you type, unless of course you just like bashing BT.

The fact is that many people and companies either block their Whois details, or have their domains registered by the person who sets up their website, without thinking about the actual consequences of that.

Do you really think BT want to have all that junk sent to them when in theory the details should be available online, and the job could take 2 minutes instead?

Hmmm... let me think.  No, possibly?

BT do use the whois details, but when loads of people don't have their actual details there, they aren't much flaming use.

BT's fault?  Hmmm... let me think again.

/sigh

Dave A