cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty image (.jpg, .bmp) atachment files received in Outlook

klcomley

Behaviour exhibited on two different PC's with different environments: Win7 32bit, Outlook 2003 (McAfee AV), and win7 64 bit Outlook 2010 (AVG AV)

The problem is that when receiving emails from one particular source all image attachments (not inline) are being 'trashed' (they arrive as headers, but are empty files).  This behaviour is only occuring with the one source.

If the same source uses OWA, then the .jpg attachments are received intact (i.e. it is not an issue of trust with the source domain).  No other sources are presenting this issue.

Their environment is:

Windows Server 2008 64 bit running MS Exchange 2010, SP1

Googling the issue (from the perspective of Outlook 2010, before discovering it was present on Outlook 2003 also), suggests issues with Trust, and overflowing temp directories.  These have been applied to no benefit.

It seems possible, therefore, that the image is being 'trashed' from the message based on some content in the message header, which is being triggered at the mail server side of things (rather than Outlook). 

Are there any reported instances of this behaviour?

Many thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Fitchet

Since BT migrated me a few days ago I have had 3 problems including this one. I can read the attachments if I log in to the BT website but not through Outlook 2003. The Chat support sorted out one problem but said this one is a Microsoft problem and referred me there.  Latest problem is that after every 3-4 minutes of using Outlook I get a message to say it has stopped working and will be restarted. Very frustrating after years without any problems.

gugaguga
Power User

macjone

@klcomley wrote:

It seems possible, therefore, that the image is being 'trashed' from the message based on some content in the message header, which is being triggered at the mail server side of things (rather than Outlook).

What about the png image format? I checked the Microsoft forum and there is no useful resolution either. So how do you solve your problem?