cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP: can't send emails from IPAD on BTCONNECT at home

Dutchy

Recently bought an IPAD and whilst I can access the internet and receive emails through my wireless router at home, I cannot send emails from the IPAD.  Strange thing is that I can send them from the IPAD when I connect to other wifi servers eg work or apple store.  The message I get is "cannot connect to smtp.btconnect.com".  The email account was set up manually and not by synching with itunes.  I have also tried changing address to mail.btconnect.com but again without success.  It is driving me nuts.  BT helpdesk can't help and nor can the chaps in the Apple store.  Can anyone offer any useful suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CT4UChris

Hi Everyone,

I have had this very same problem for ages now. I am a BT Business Broadband customer, connect through a wired connection in the office, run an iPhone on vodafone. iPhone will connect out and about to different wifi connection and happily send and receive emails. When in the office will not send emails via wifi but receives ok. Will only send if turn wifi off and let it go through the 3G network.

Having tore my hair out for ages on my iPhone (I assume it will be similar for the iPad) and read several different threads and possible solutions to no avail, a lightning bolt suddenly hit me. With people talking about having to turn authentication on and off depending on whether you are in or out, I thought about this;

In the iPhone outgoing mail server settings you can set additional servers to try if the primary doesn't work. So, I have the primary server setting as smtp.btconnect.com with the authentication (username and password entered) on. Then in the additional servers have one turned on which is set to smtp.btconnect.com with the authentication (username and password blank) off.

As the iPhone will try them in succession if one doesn't work, the great thing about this is it doesn't matter which way round you set them, just have both. It works a treat and you don't have to keep switching anything on and off or changing settings from authenticate to not.

Hope this helps anyone else from becoming as bald as I have.

Cheers

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Dutchy,

have you had a look at the thread  BT Connect Email and iPhone/iPad?

It could be that the ISP you are using when you are not able to send is blocking you access to the BT outgoing server.

Try enabling outgoing authentication, if this does not work contact the ISP you are using at the time.

regards

Markp

Dutchy

Thanks Markp.  We looked at this thread with the chaps in the Apple Store.  Most people seem to have the opposite problem to me ie they can send emails from home but can't when they move to a different wifi connection.  For me, it is the opposite ie I can send emails from the IPAD happily anywhere other than when I am at home.  My home computer allows me to send emails on my btconnect email address which makes me think that it might have something to do with the router.  However, I tried looking at this last night and it is too technical for me but I couldn't see anything in the relevant 192.168.0.1 page which seemed to deal with email access.

The ISP at home is BT and so it would seem odd that this should block access to the BT outgoing server.

I will look at the thread again when I get home and will try again.

keitht

Any one solved this ?

On my iPad I can send btconnect email via my Orange 3G connection but cannot on any WiFi ! Home ,work etc

Gmail account works perfectly.

also btconnect email works perfectly on my wifi connected laptaop

keitht

OK solved !!

For the outgoing server for my btconnect email, instead of using mail.btconnect.com , I use the gmail outgoing server that is already set up for my gmail account ( smtp.gmail.com ) under 'Other SMTP Servers' and turn off the primary outgoing server I set up mail.btconnect.com.

Now iPad sends/receives btconnect email on WiFi.

Very strange but maybe something to do with authentication for sending mail not required via Wifi for btconnect as I noticed that is not on on Outlook on my laptop. Not sure why since that would seem easier to spoof ....

Hope this is useful - been puzzling me for ages and a pain when I take my iPad abroad.

jbuelens

I had the same problem. I believe the answer (I won't call it a solution) is the one posted by user nwhiley in this thread. Look at your outgoing mail server settings. There is a user name and a password field there. When you're out and about, you must have your user name (john.smith@btconnect.com) and password in there. When you're at home on your WiFi, they must be blank.

The reason for this curious state of affairs is that when you're on the BT network (i.e. at home connected via WiFi), BT's outgoing mail server does not require authentication - and a mail client configured to expect authentication refuses to talk to it. When you're out and about, the server does require authentication and you need to have the username/password.

CT4UChris

Hi Everyone,

I have had this very same problem for ages now. I am a BT Business Broadband customer, connect through a wired connection in the office, run an iPhone on vodafone. iPhone will connect out and about to different wifi connection and happily send and receive emails. When in the office will not send emails via wifi but receives ok. Will only send if turn wifi off and let it go through the 3G network.

Having tore my hair out for ages on my iPhone (I assume it will be similar for the iPad) and read several different threads and possible solutions to no avail, a lightning bolt suddenly hit me. With people talking about having to turn authentication on and off depending on whether you are in or out, I thought about this;

In the iPhone outgoing mail server settings you can set additional servers to try if the primary doesn't work. So, I have the primary server setting as smtp.btconnect.com with the authentication (username and password entered) on. Then in the additional servers have one turned on which is set to smtp.btconnect.com with the authentication (username and password blank) off.

As the iPhone will try them in succession if one doesn't work, the great thing about this is it doesn't matter which way round you set them, just have both. It works a treat and you don't have to keep switching anything on and off or changing settings from authenticate to not.

Hope this helps anyone else from becoming as bald as I have.

Cheers

Rufus
Eureka! Just tried your suggestion and it really does work. This was really odd as I was able to send emails quite happily using wifi at home until I upgraded to a later version of the 4 software on my iPhone 3GS in September. All good now. Thanks!

Krapotkin

This happened to me yesterday for the first time, I couldn't send emails from iPad or Iphone on BTConnect address. I've been tearing my hair out as this is a business adress and I need access. I'm trying your solution now, and man it's taking it's time to verify!!

Hope this works!!

Jude
Thanks very good advice