churstongolf

Lost Email

Hi

We are a golf club in Devon.  Up until about 5 weeks ago we were able to send a daily email to our members that had BTinternet.com accounts.  Since then they cannot receive email from us and another few domains.  We have checked as best we can and are not listed as spammers, which we are not and have a double opt in sign up to prove it.

I read that others here have email problems and are referred to technical support where would that be please?

Thanks In advance

churstongolf

Re: Lost Email

[ Edited ]

I just saw the reply to "Outlook downloads" and and followed the link to the helpdesk.  However I am not a BT customer but a lot of our golf members are so how might I take this forward please?

John

Message Edited by churstongolf on 06-16-2008 04:05 PM
Message Edited by churstongolf on 06-16-2008 04:06 PM
BT Employee
steph

Hi churstongolf,

Do you or the recepients of your emails get an error message or warning when the emails you send are not received, are the undelivered emails returned to you or do the emails in effect "vanish" altogether?

Also, is your email service with BT Business Broadband or a different provider?

Kind regards,

Stephanie

BT Forum Moderator
churstongolf

[ Edited ]

Hi Steph

Thanks for the reply and to answer your questions.

1 The recepients get nothing at all - we get no error messages or bounces

2 Yep Vanish is the word.

3 Our emaiol is sent from our server so no not a BT Business account.  This only started 5 weeks ago if that helps.  Two things happened at that time.  1 We moved hosting companies, we have double checked the DNS and it is resolveing perfectly.  2 The internet went into some kind of meltdown for 72 hours in terms of the DNS.  Lots of weirdness I grant you but this is only an issue with @btinternet.com members.

I also did some calling around this afternoon this seems to apply to members that use an online web based account

Thanks in advance

Message Edited by churstongolf on 06-17-2008 06:53 PM
BT Employee
steph

Hi there,

If the emails are definately not being picked out as SPAM, have you tried contacting your hosting company to see if they are aware of any problems with their service that may affect sending emails to certain domains?

If your broadband is with BT, it may be worth signing up to Home IT Adviser for further assistance.

You can sign up online here if your have BT Residential Broadband, or here if you have BT Business Broadband.

BT Forum Moderator
churstongolf

Hi Steph

I contacted my server Admin what follows is his reply.

This is a known issue with yahoo/btinternet in the UK.  Yahoo apparently bought them/runs
their email.  Anyway we have similar reports weeks/months ago - emails DO
get delivered to yahoo/btinternet, but the end user never sees them (or
days later it shows up in the wrong folder/bulk mail box).  It's an issue
at their end - the others who filed similar issues run on a multititude of
platforms, and out of our New York datacenter (you have the same issue
from our uk facilities).  So its not a specific ip block, or domain name
block - it's a problem at btinternet most likely related to anti spam
measures from what we can see (where they don't scan traffic from gmail,
yahoo, aol, etc - they more heavily scrutinize any email NOT from the 'big
guys' which is why you see gmail accounts work faster/fine)

Heres a log entry

Jun 22 06:30:13 www courieresmtp:
id=0229817E.485DE365.00003D90,from=<xxxxx@xxxxxxx.com>,
addr=<xxxxx@btinternet.com>,size=5971,success: delivered:
mx1.bt.mail.yahoo.com [195.50.106.135]
Jun 22 06:30:13 www courieresmtp:
id=0229817E.485DE365.00003D90,from=<xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com>,
addr=<xxxxxxxxx@btinternet.com>,size=5971,status: success

What we have found in the past is

#1) btinternet/yahoo wont respond
  #2) the mails show up sometimes in the bulk mail folder
  #3) sometimes the email never appears at all (silently purged/deleted)
  #4) sometimes shows up in the inbox, 3 to 5 days later

Is this the case?

Regards

John

Master User
Kirok

Yeah your guys right, they also completely reject email from forum and mailing software... atleast they did last time I looked into it. Its anti-spam. Best way around it is to relay through a big smarthost but you'd need a business account for that. Depends on how big your hosting is though, I can understand a small to medium company running its own server but surprised they'd block email from those at datacentre level.
churstongolf

[ Edited ]

Hi Kirok

Thanks for the reply.  How mad is this idea :smileywink: Do you know if they are planning to change this idea in the future?  What is really annoying is that we use a double opt in to ensure all emails are real.  So to go to all that trouble and then have this happen is not very impressive.  Plus my @btinternet customers find it hard to beleive as well

John

Message Edited by churstongolf on 07-01-2008 02:12 PM
Master User
Kirok

[ Edited ]

There are lots of things that could be done at each side but odds are the problems with BT Internet / Yahoo:

You could run a few tests here http://mxtoolbox.com/ and http://www.dnsstuff.com/ but I'm guessing your email hosting guys know what there doing and have set everything up correctly and check stuff life this periodically.

I mean if its proof a basic google search and looking at the first two pages of results will let your recipients know its not just you. Your hosting guys could try contacting BT / Yahoo and getting them to whitelist you but I doubt thats going to happen.

Basically there email infrastructure is failing for many reasons and in an attempt to stop spam they've sacrificed reliability.

Message Edited by Kirok on 07-06-2008 09:03 PM
churstongolf

Thanks for the info.  Yeh my server guys are very good and more or less said the same thing as you.  However this is difficult for end users to beleive that BT could do such a thing.  This is not very good publicity for them in my neck of the woods anyway.

Once again thanks