Accepted Solution

MX records, Inbound failure, domain naming issue.

Hello, further to a previous post I have exchange up and running, sending mail but not receiving, so have a few more questions...

This is quite long so I do apologise.

I am setting up my own exchange server, created in Microsoft Virtual PC. This is installed on a Windows XP Machine.
I am connected to the internet via a BT Business Static IP Address.

In my virtual network I have a Domain Controller, 2 Servers, One of them having Exchange 2003 installed and  a Client Machine running Windows XP.
My Local Domain is for example testdomain.local.

I have my email through btconnect.com which I wish to leave as is. I connect through a third party mail client and download my mails on to my main home machine. I do not wish to mess with this setup. I do not want to set up any aliases.

However: I have registered a 2nd domain with BT, say 2nddomain.co.uk. Who I wish to setup so that the mail is delivered to my Exchange server running in My Microsoft Virtual PC.
I have logged on the BT Domain management site. Created an A record pointing to my external facing IP address on my BT Router.

I have forwarded port 25 traffic to my Server hosting the exchange server.

Now this is where i am getting a little mixed up.
Do I point the MX record at host.domain (being the actual physical domain that the server is part off)
or host.2nddomain.co.uk (being the domain that I transferred to BT)

Do I need to create a 2nd domain zone in DNS on my Domain Controller for the 2nd domain that I transferred to BT, or if I put the relevant records in DNS (the original zone when DC set up), should that be fine.

I can send mail inside network ok, between machines and users and I can send mail externally to  web based mail. But when I reply, it can not be delivered back, Connection can not be made.

I have tried telnetting to my mail host on port 25, which will not connect.
Can you do this though. Can you telnet from your main machine, hosting the virtual enviroment. Out of your LAN to Authoritive servers for domain, then read the MX record and back in again to test enviroment to test. Has anyone done this before.

I do apologise for this lengthy post, and if any one had the time to read it all...
Cheers
Grand Guru

Re: MX records, Inbound failure, domain naming issue.

[ Edited ]

A record = ip address

XM record = host.2nddomain.co.uk

----------

Do I need to create a 2nd domain zone in DNS on my Domain Controller for the 2nd domain that I transferred to BT, or if I put the relevant records in DNS (the original zone when DC set up), should that be fine.

no itll be fine

---------------------------

I can send mail inside network ok, between machines and users and I can send mail externally to  web based mail. But when I reply, it can not be delivered back, Connection can not be made.

dns records willbe incorrect meaning that mail cant be routed

PM me the domain and i can check its setup or you can use www.mxtoolbox.com to check it.

-----------------------------

I have tried telnetting to my mail host on port 25, which will not connect.
Can you do this though. Can you telnet from your main machine, hosting the virtual enviroment. Out of your LAN to Authoritive servers for domain, then read the MX record and back in again to test enviroment to test. Has anyone done this before.

possibly not. try it from another connection 

Message Edited by alastair on 16-04-2009 02:01 PM
=~~= All Glory to the Hypnotoad! =~~=
Master User

Incidentally unless you're tied to Virtual PC I'd recommend giving Virtualbox a try - http://www.virtualbox.org/

I may be reading what you've said wrong, it would help if you could specifics, IPs and actual domains. If thats not too much of an issue.

Anyway you point the second domain to the IP address, make sures it an A and not a CNAM. You might also want to check the servers banner and do some reverse DNS on the IP address.

Can you telnet to the machines local address?

Hello, thankyou for your replies. I have ensured that my A record is the IP address of router with port forwading enabled to exchange servers internal IP address.

Pointing the MX record at host.2nddomain.co.uk though. How does this resolve when that host doesn't actually exist on my network. As my network has a different Domain Name.

I thought this was supposed to be the actual name of my internal mail server.

I used http://www.wormly.com/tools last night to test smtp connection When i enter the IP address it connects and sends a mail which i do receive.

When using the hostname of mail server it fails, with the following: Sorry, I couldn't find a mail exchanger or IP address. (#5.4.4). So am assuming it is having DNS issues.

many thanks...

Grand Guru

• Numeric Code: 5.4.4

First Available: Exchange 2000 Service Pack 1

Possible Cause: No route to message, next hop not found. You have set up a Routing Group topology but there is no Routing Group Connector set up between the Routing Groups.

Troubleshooting: Add or configure your Routing Group Connector between Routing Groups.

i think i need to know your domain to double check what you set up

Hello, yes I saw that code, "add or configure your Routing Group Connector between Routing Groups"

and I googled it and also referenced it to an exchange book that I have. It basically referred to having a 2nd or more exchange server(s).
If so I could create a routing group between them. I do only have the one exchange server, and haven't done this to my knowledge.

My domain is weblawd.co.uk

Grand Guru

dude..... seriously

Preference         Host Name                            IP Address            TTL   

10                    computer2.weblawd.co.uk        0.0.0.0                1800

you've set the MX up wrong

delete the records you made and follow the suggestions i made in that other thread. if you set it up that way it will work

the mail meant to be heading for your server is going to 0.0.0.0 instead of your static ip

Grand Guru

from my prev post

1  create MX record  eg mail.weblawd.co.uk with a key of @

2  create an A record to your broadband static ip address x.x.x.x with a key of mail

Ha Ha, I know, looks like I have set it up wrong.

But when I log into my BT Domain Management Screen I have set the A record to my Static IP Address, and the MX Record as host.2nddomain.co.uk. So it looks all fine to me.

So I don't understand why it isn't being picked up, or resolving correctly.

Do you know if there should be any other records pointing to any BT servers or anything.

I have just deleted the records and re-entered them. I shall wait a few hours for replication and then shall see what happens.

Cheers ...
Grand Guru

if you have host2.domain.co.uk then they key for the A record needs to be host2

i told you to put the key as mail as i expected you to have the mx record as mail.domain.co.uk