cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Office365 - Client does not have permissions to send as this sender

JXBURNS

We appear to have been upgraded to Office 365 Lite without any notice or forewarning by BT. Now our automated systems, which used to send from "xxx@domain.com" through BTConnect, no longer work as the SMTP error coming back is:

"550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender"

I understand this is because the sender no longer matches the logged in user. The emails are generated from a couple of email accounts (valid on our own non-BT domain) using Chilkat from a VB.NET application.

Am I correct that this is deliberate and that unless we upgrade to the premium package then we cannot do this anymore? If that is the case and if we do upgrade what is needed to make this work?

Thanks - John

6 REPLIES 6

MHC
Guru

I am surprisd that you say you were not given advance notice.

I was overwhelmed by informative emails - on each account and sub-account.   There were maybe 5 emails in advance of te changeover and another couple once it actually happened.

JXBURNS

Absolutely nothing. I was not even aware that a change was being proposed to use Microsoft's servers. I even rechecked the spam folders and the like but nothing.

But if anyone can answer the original question then at least we know were we stand. If we have to cancel our contract with BT and go elsewhere to a company that can support our business requirement so be it but we have been with BT a long time and normally do not have any major problems.

Thanks - John

JXBURNS

Wonder if anyone has any answer to this?

I would point out the domains are NOT hosted by BT but have been working until now. It is causing serious problems for our business and unless resolved very quickly we will be leaving BT. I phoned the help desk but they did not appear to want to know, or could not understand, that these domains are not with BT.

I understand it is a relaying problem but as we are using a valid BT account surely we should be able to send.

What is more annoying is the lack of forewarning which I see from these forums has happened to others.

Thanks - John

Ian1974

Hi John,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your email.

Please can you use the dns enquiry form at www.dnsforms.co.uk, providing the domain name and I will be able to look into this for you.

Kind Regards,

Ian - F -

JXBURNS

Ian

Thanks for the reply. I managed to speak to the Help Desk and someone who did understand this morning. He suggested I reverted to using a smtp address at btconnect (other than smtp.outlook.com), which will not repeat here in case it does not work completely, which seemed to work for the 1 email I could test from the application. That was different to the one I had been using. I told him I would wait until tomorrow when the system is due to send out its next batch of emails automatically before I could close off the issue. Whether this is a long term solution I guess depends upon whether btconnect will remain.

He did confirm the sending domain was registered with btconnect but could not confirm that it had been transferred to outlook.com which is where I suspect the problem exists. He also confirmed that a large number of customers were transferred without any prior warning.

Rgds John

JXBURNS

OK that worked. Seems like do not have to use smtp.outlook.com even after transfer to Office365 when sending from a domain not hosted by BT (but has to be registered with them).

Seems the transfer of registrations details to outlook.com is not going as smoothly as first thought and relaying is being denied in many instances. I guess this can be sorted but when you are not even notified about the change it becomes very frustrating.

For what its worth I was told to use mail.btconnect.com (NOT smtp.btconnect.com as I had been) but make sure you use non-SSL (port 25).

John