cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Linux unable to connect to smtp.outlook.com

JohnFluter

While I mainly use Windows, I have devices running Linux. Ubuntu 12.04 and its derivitives work fine but since 14.04 I cannot send to smtp.outlook.com on some internet connections. The one that matters most is my own BT broadband connection. Round the corner, at the pub, 'The Cloud' connects me without any problem!

I'm sure its nothing to do with *my* settings as I can set up test emai accounts with live CD installations that work with old distos but fail, with 'server unkown' error messages in 14.04 and later distos no matter what age of computer.

Reading is no problem, sending to smtp.outlook.com always fails on my broadband.

Has  any one any idea what the issue is? (I've installed ssl and that has not done any good.)

3 REPLIES 3

markp
Grand Guru

Hi there JohnFluter

could you try sending from the server smtp.office365.com for your BT email address to see it it will send mail please?

Thanks

Markp

JohnFluter

Hi Markp

Thank you.

I've tried smtp.office365.com and it doesn't connect.

I've also tried smtp-mail.outlook.com which is the address suggested by the Mozilla database. I've tried port 25 with both, as well. Nothing works here but when I tried at the pub, out of curiosity, the 'standard' setting, as in my Windows PC worked. At cafe,different isp, everything failed.

JohnFluter

Hi Markp

I'm so sorry. I was to hasty.

I was convinced that you suggestion was one of the many variants that I had tried after trwling the web.

Just to be sure, I have just reset the smpt details in this Linux 14.04 laptop and, after requesting my password, my test mail was sent, and I have received it.

The issue is solved!

Thank you very much.

John