dmendels

(Rerouting mail via DNS record configuration) vs (Auto-forwarding + using BT SMTP server)

Hello,

I've just transferred my domain name to BT. I have an email address in that domain and would like to continue using it.

Email sent to that address was previously auto-forwarded to a gmail account by my old domain host. I read the email using gmail, and sent email from that address by specifying in gmail the login details of my old domain host's SMTP server. Mail was sent as if from my domain, and it all worked fine except that my previous domain host seemed to have a lot of trouble maintaining an operational SMTP server (hence the transfer to BT).

I am now being steered towards a different setup with BT, namely rerouting my mail to Google's servers via specifying Google MX record info to BT.

This latter method sounds fine, but I'm reluctant to change a system of configuring my mail which seems to be fundamentally OK.

Any comments, please, comparing these two approaches, in particular whether the second method is indeed favorable to the first?

Thanks,

Dennis

Super User
nayan007

Re: (Rerouting mail via DNS record configuration) vs (Auto-forwarding + using BT SMTP server)

I think the second method is fabourable,but even though please contact to the technical support team for this issue :smileywink:

Super User
Plumly

Re: (Rerouting mail via DNS record configuration) vs (Auto-forwarding + using BT SMTP server)

hi Dmendels,

Looking at both options,

I would suggest changing the MX record to google servers rather then using a forwarding option,

you have the problem with forwarding mail you have two points which can fail in the route rather then the one, meaning that it only takes BT or Gmail servers to go down that you then don' get mail,

Anyway

GOod Luck

Plumly