cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending email from iPhone/iPad - server does not allow relaying

tjrw

I have several email accounts through btconnect. I also have one with my own domain name (through BT).

These all work fine for sending and receiving email with Outlook from a Windows PC.

The btconnect emails also work with both iPhone and iPad.

However, the email address with the domain name will not send from iPhone/iPad - the error message states that the server does not allow relaying. Receiving email to this address is OK.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Burkem5
Guru

Hi there Tjrw,

If the domain or email on the domain are hosted with BT then you will need to use the following settings

Email - Your email

Incoming server

Server - pop.office365.com

port – 995

connection type – SSL

Username - Full domain email address

Password - password

Outgoing

Server - smtp.office365.com

port – 587

connection type – SSL (or TLS)

make sure the outgoing server is set to authenticate using password

Please ensure that the username is the email address you are attempting to send from.

We often find this issue comes up when you use the old outgoing server (smtp.btconect.com) or when the username and email address do not match.

It would also be best to try this while connected to the BT WiFi rather than 3g and if you could clear out the outbox before sending a test email.

Hope this helps

Burkem5

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Burkem5
Guru

Hi there Tjrw,

If the domain or email on the domain are hosted with BT then you will need to use the following settings

Email - Your email

Incoming server

Server - pop.office365.com

port – 995

connection type – SSL

Username - Full domain email address

Password - password

Outgoing

Server - smtp.office365.com

port – 587

connection type – SSL (or TLS)

make sure the outgoing server is set to authenticate using password

Please ensure that the username is the email address you are attempting to send from.

We often find this issue comes up when you use the old outgoing server (smtp.btconect.com) or when the username and email address do not match.

It would also be best to try this while connected to the BT WiFi rather than 3g and if you could clear out the outbox before sending a test email.

Hope this helps

Burkem5

tjrw

Thanks.

This is how that account is set up on the iPhone/iPad except there is no option for a tls connection type (only SSL on/off).

I've deleted the account and re-entered the settings, it verifies OK but still no relaying allowed.

Is there anything in the BT domain account to change?

Any other suggestions?

Burkem5
Guru

Once you save the account and it verfies go back into account settings and look at the Outgoing server/hostname and make sure it is using the email address as authentication.  Also be sure to go into the advanced settings and ensure that authentication is set to username and password.

Thanks

Burkem5

tjrw

...been there done that.

I've completely deleted all the accounts on both iPhone and iPad and started from scratch with the suggested settings. Still no joy outgoing from the domain-name account (incoming OK), btconnect accounts still working fine.

Thanks

Terry

Burkem5
Guru

hi Tjrw

Try that with SSL on the outgoing.

Thanks

Burkem5

tjrw

Tried with and without SSL.

However, I now think I have found the answer.

I deleted all the accounts so there was no email on the iPhone at all.

I then set up the domain-name account alone - no other accounts. This then worked for both incoming and outgoing.

Then added the btconnect accounts and they also worked.

Previously I had set up the primary (btconnect) account first.

For whatever reason, setting up the domain-name account after the btconnect accounts stopped the "relaying".

Tech Support also gave me a "podnnnnn.outlook.com" address to use instead of pop/smtp. This made no difference to the original problem but also works OK. Not sure what this.

Thanks for your help.

Terry

Peter_Hunter

I have four email accounts on my iPhone 4S all of which used to work both sending and receiving.  However, since a software update some months ago I am only able to send from just one (primary) email account.  All four accounts are able to receive.  Apple customer support have not been able to resolve this problem as neither have Vodafone tech support.  Any ideas would be gratefull received.

Peter_Hunter

How do I access the type box 'tls' ?