cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending to multiple email addresses

Michaela-CAVS

Hi

Is there a maximum number of contacts an email can be sent to.   We have meeting distrution lists for various meetings and some of them are in excess of 50 recipients.  I can use Outlook Express without a problem but my colleague is using Microsoft Outlook and receives the error message 'Too many recipients'.

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20

Rodka

Kirok, its YOU for prime minister. Lots of good practical common sense.

Over the last few weeks I have spoken on the telephone to numerous staff at BT. They have been telling me that there is a problem which they are trying to fix and ringing me up every day to let me know it is NOT fixed (as if I didnt know)

We have spent hours splitting our members from various club lists into groups of 50 - even more difficult when members are not on your contact list (each persons email address has to be individually re-written into the mailing list)

Anyway lets vote for Kirok - either for PM or MD of BT!

Kirok
Master User

Heh yeah perhaps I should raise an army and establish myself as some sort of world dictator. That actually brings me on to another thing that annoys me (lots of things tend to annoy me)

The problem is a lot of ISPs, hell a lot of companies will hire for customer service thinking they can train technical ability and troubleshooting skills in a few weeks and then support it with a script and knowledgbase. Which means you get lots of smiling people who who can apologise properly, use your first name and follow the call script to the letter but can't actually fix the problem. They still do this for business level support and even for corporate level support.

schtooart

Had the same problem. No prior warning. Has caused major inconvienence and till now have only been told the problem should be fixed soon. I've been waiting for 3 months and from previous posters it seems the 'fix' will cost the customer. I've started using my yahoo account to get over this short term i.e. copying in my distribution list contact details. Required a bit of editing but at least could send to 50 plus contacts.

Any useful / imformative / beneficial / BT service-support is non existent. Like many I have been with BT for years but if I can find a company with good customers feedback / report I will consider moving. BT as a company seem at times to have a death wish. I hope somebody from BT reads this forum and draws the general concerns to those who need to know (and might care).

Rodka

Totally empathise Schyooart. How can a business survive with a service like we are presently getting from BT? Its amazing to think how much business is completed these days via the internet and email and yet a name like BT just cant put together the nuts and bolts for business customers to use.

If we want to delete a customer from our list now, we have to look through around 20 email lists instead of one. (Each list is now in alphbetical order)

If it is just a ruse to get more cash from us, then BT should just come clean and say so.

blondemoments

Hello Rodka

Well, the story of extreme frustration continues!!  I signed up a couple of weeks ago for 'Organise & Share' (at a cost of £7.50 per month) - being advised that I can now send to up to 500 at a time.  However, something was still very wrong and the problem has now been looked at by 'Advanced Diagnostics' - today I am advised that each Distribution list can only contain a maximum of 150 recipients, but I can send e-mails to up to 500.  Like other frustrated bloggers, this is causing extreme grief splitting the lists and then trying to find which list any particular person is on.  This situation is obviously totally unacceptable to many businesses who rely on being able to send out bulk e-mails to recipients WHO HAVE ASKED FOR THE INFORMATION - not spam e-mails.  Further frustrations with 'Organise & Share' - there is no way to actually display how many addresses are in each group - you have to physically count them!!  All of this is totally unacceptable and whilst the 'e-mail team' is doing its very best to help me, they are powerless.  There has to be a better way!!  Any suggestions?

Blonde Moments

BE_Product_Mngr
BT Employee
BT Employee

The current number of recipients that can be included in an email sent from a @btconnect.com email address is contained in the Size limits for sending email FAQ.

In summary …..

Email Lite and Email plus Organise customers:
Maximum recipients per email of 50 if sent via SMTP.
Maximum recipients per email of 200 if sent via Outlook Web Access.

Email plus Organise and Share customers:
Maximum recipients per email of 50 if sent via SMTP.
Maximum recipients per email of 200 if sent via Outlook Web Access.
Maximum recipients per email of 500 if sent via Outlook RPC/HTTPS.

The number of recipients that can be included in an email is not part of the email terms and conditions however we have taken action to protect the service for everyone due to the unforeseen number of our customer’s PCs being compromised. This has exposed their email account details which have been used to send Spam to and from our network. As SMTP is an unsophisticated interface for mail relay compared to other interfaces, the measures we have taken speed up the identification and removal of Spammers and hence maintain the service for all users.

We realise that this may have inconvenienced some customers by having to send 4 times as many emails if the recipients capability was used for distribution lists however this action was essential. If you are a BT Business Broadband customer we would like to understand the impact this change has made to your business operation, please email me on btbusinessemailsupport@btconnect.com

Message Edited by James on 01-06-2009 12:25 PM

chrisweirman

My wife's business currently has a contact list of about 1900, to save splitting up the list into chunks of 50 I'm in the process of setting up a mailout software package to handle this for me, but part of the setup is to detail how the server handles large amounts of email traffic.  Does anyone know if Btconnect has any hourly or daily emailing limits?  I cant seem to find any info on the help pages about it and I've been 2nd in the queue for the online web help for about an hour already now...argh!

Thanks

Chris

EnglishRose

My mailing list is about 5000 to 10,000 names sent to people who want the data ( I am in part a data protection lawyer!) and I send a quarterly mailing to them.  It has always been a huge problem.

I have had to split it down to smallish numbers over the last five years. Sometimes the mailing rseults in my being blacklisted externally so I always do mailing with huge trepidation.

I was told once to unplug the modem as that can change your IP addresss and that does work sometimes.

I have now consolidated my databases and was about to do the first mailing for six months and the first one since we got fibre broadband and thought I would check BT's restrictions . I would be prepared to  pay BT  say a £100 one off fee each time I did these few large 10,000 email mailings but I cannot see any system like that is available.

I have tried over the years using the Bt /pop3 and my hotmail addresses etc although I prefer clients to see my work email (I do not use web based email for these work emails).

So this thread has shown BT has no service for people wanting to send lawful business emails to say 10,000 recipients unless they split them into tiny amounts of whatever it is - 50 a day - that would take me 2000 days! If I pay a little more I might get a right to send 150 a day but it may not work so hardly seems worth the extra cost. We pay for six BT lines here, two fibre lines etc etc. and yet cannot do the basic business marketing businesses need and yet woudl be happy to pay for it. Perhaps I need to find an Indian spamming expert to do it for me. The issue is time - that is what is most short so you want to be able to paste in the 10,000 emails and press send. You do not want to spend one second dividing databases up.

SPShipley
Similar problem. A U3A branch tries to circulate its 250 members with a newsletter every two months. Even after the editor has spoken to BTConnect many times, and divided her list into two, she still suffers from multiple non-delivery. Not rejection as spam, just a swathe of non-deliveries - some go through on resend, some don't.

PhilMun

I am not a business but secretary of an organisation and need to send emails to members. I cannot do this for more than about 8b members at a time which is very frustrating. If I send too many emails one after another then the system seizes up and synchronises for ever. How do I resolve this problem?