cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up btconnect email on IPAD

andy101

I am trying to set up my IPAD to work with my BTCONNECT eamil. I can get it to receive emails, but not send. Has anyone managed to do this yet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RAB68
I had the same problem. This worked for me. 1 wipe the mail account 2 set up again on the iPad only (not via iTunes) 3 switch from IMAP to POP using the tab at the top of the account info dialog box (this seems to be the crucial step) 4 fill in usual data, omit optional smtp user name and password Complete the set up, takes ages to verify (on mine) but stick with it!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RAB68
I had the same problem. This worked for me. 1 wipe the mail account 2 set up again on the iPad only (not via iTunes) 3 switch from IMAP to POP using the tab at the top of the account info dialog box (this seems to be the crucial step) 4 fill in usual data, omit optional smtp user name and password Complete the set up, takes ages to verify (on mine) but stick with it!

robiincraven

Hi,

I am a step behind you. I have just bought an iPhone 4 for my wife and cannot set up the btconnect email account on it. the Iphone (or the iPad for that mater) cannot verfiy the email account. Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Robin

William

Its taken me ages to sort this out...visits to apple store and chats with BT help people. The answer was simple 

On the outgoing server drop down box delete the password (goes to optional) AND the user name (ditto)...so you only put in the btconnect info.

I had tried everything apart from deleting the username info - didn't seem right really - and that is the crucial bit.

Also make sure the outgoing port is 25

Lisa

Robin

I have solved it for me.

It is about Outgoing I used these settings

Outgoing Mail Server : mail.btconnect.com

No username ( optional)

No password (optional)

Outgoing server port: 25

It worked, it can take time to verify but try, if not 25 try 80, but mail.connect.com is important.

Good Luck,

Dont give in, it has taken me ages.

Lisa

briesmith

Firstly; you need to understand the difference between IMAP and POP3. POP3 is the default with BT email (ie from btconnect servers usually with @btconnect.com email adresses). IMAP is only available with the added Organise and Share service which costs £5 a month per email address service. You cannot use IMAP with BT unless you subscribe to their ridiculously overpriced Organise and Share service.

POP3 in its standard configuration sends received emails from the receiving servers (BT's in this case) to the addressee's PC or other device when they are read and removes them when it does so from the server. (That's why you don't see an email you've read on your phone or tablet on your PC when you get home).

POP3 can allow received emails to be seen on multiple devices (by ticking the Don't Delete from Server boxes in your email client settings) but you run the risk of running out of space on the BT servers. There is, however, no way you can see sent emails on multiple devices with POP3; they only ever exist on the device that sent them. There are other differences between IMAP and POP3 but these are the crucial ones in this case.

Secondly; BT do not use authentication on the outgoing (SMTP) part of their email service. You must therefore remove any entry in the username and password fields in the outgoing settings AND make sure the authenticate box is unticked AND stays unticked when you save the settings.

The simplest and cheapest solution - if you can bear to give up your @btconnect.com email addresses - is to move to Google mail, Hotmail, Yahoo or one of the other email service providers. These all offer IMAP as default, don't charge for their service and are much more suited, or in tune with, today's email environment where so many of us now have multiple email devices.

Good luck.

Roberts

cannot get connected or online

Nig1953

Still cannot get Ipad to send emails even after all the advice, called BT but they do't want to help

OldWolf
Guru

@Nig1953 wrote:

Still cannot get Ipad to send emails even after all the advice, called BT but they do't want to help

Hi,

Can you:

1) Log in to your email account through webmail at http://myoffice.bt.com?

2) Access your email through a mail program like Outlook Express/Windows Mail?

If you answer NO to either of the above then you may have technical issue with your account, which would need to be looked at.

If you answer YES to both of the above then your email account is fine and you need to contact Apple and/or your mobile supplier if you use 3G when sending and receiving email.

BT do not have to support any third party product.  If you put a set of alloys and a stereo you bought on eBay or some after market supplier on your BMW, would you seriously expect BMW to do anything about it if one of them broke?

Cheers.

Dave A