cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Host settings for Office 365

ddwt28

Hi All,

I have an on premise server (Small Business Server 2008) running exchange 2007. Our ISP is BT and the server has been set to use the POP3 connector to retreive all emails from the individual BT accounts and send all emails through one smarthost of which the address is: mail.btconnect.com.

BT have recently migrated all the accounts over to office 365. I have adjusted the settings within the EMC for the pop3 connector and it is working correctly. However, I cannot find an address to reconfigure the smarthost.

Do I just leave it as mail.btconnect.com?

Many thanks Darren

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same situation as you but with SBS 2011. I assume that mail.btconnect.com will be switched off as you'll be expected to use smtp.outlook.com but this needs authentication and only accepts mail for the account that you use to authorise. It will not relay mail.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just biten the bullet and contacted BT Server support (costs apply).

They were helpful and changed the mail delivery option from Smart Host (smtp) to DNS. They also suggested getting a reverse DNS setup on our domain and are doing that too. We're using SBS 2011 and they made the change in the Exchange Management Console but actually there was an option on the SBS Console which deactivated the Smart Host - and I think the SBS Console is the same for 2008 and 2011. Use the Network, Connectivity tab, Internet Mail -  Smart Host for internet email, View Outbound Internet email properties (in the Task pane).

Only change this if you know what you're doing especially around the reverse DNS as your server can get black listed and stop you sending mail.