jasonstansfield

Spam Blacklist Problem on BT Static IP address

Is anyone else having a problem sending email to certain recipients today?

We appear to have made it on to an email blacklist along with about 10 million other BT hosted IP addresses!

When I used www.mxtoolbox.com to see where we were listed it turned out to be a blacklist called UCE Protect who happen to be a bunch of scam operators based in Germany.  It seems though that quite a few people are using them as their blacklist service hence the reason why much of our email is getting bounced back.

I contacted BT and was given the most unsatisfactory answer of 'there is nothing we can do about it - you could try contacting OFCOM'!

I'm considering changing ISPs if this isnt fixed soon just so that we can get off the BT range

IP Status Listingrisk Optional Expressdelisting
WARNING!
PROBLEM MUST BE FIXED FIRST
TO PREVENT NEW LISTINGS
217.***.***.***NOT LISTEDLOWNot available

UCEPROTECT-Level2 Networks this IP belongs to

Networks Status Level 1 listed spammers
within the last 7 days Level 2 Escalation limit
by Level 1 records Optional Expressdelisting
WARNING!
TO PREVENT NEW LISTINGS <script type="text/javascript">// document.forms['form1'].elements['message1'].value='0% Level 2 Test : Net 217.32.0.0/12'; // </script>
217.32.0.0/12WARNING
High Listingrisk
14051885Not available

<script type="text/javascript">// document.forms['form1'].elements['message1'].value='Level 3 Test : AS'; // </script>

UCEPROTECT-Level3 <script type="text/javascript">// document.forms['form1'].elements['message1'].value='Level 3 Test : AS2856'; // </script> Reputation of ASN 2856 | BT-UK-AS BTnet UK Regional network

AS Status Provider has
total IP's Level 1 listed spammers
within the last 7 days Level 3 Escalation limit
by Level 1 records Optional Expressdelisting
WARNING!
TO PREVENT NEW LISTINGS
2856LISTED10491136
24973 (0.238 %) 
 Not available at this time.
Listingcounter is still growing !
Redvark

Re: Spam Blacklist Problem on BT Static IP address

We have the same, Lancashire County Council are now blocking our emails, saying we have been blacklisted.

Range starting at 213.122.180.xxx

sfoxjones

our IP address is also blocked it says with spamhaus. We go to that site and it says BT has asked that all the numbers in a given range should be blocked. I have been on hold with BT now for 43 minutes they say they have no idea

support_hexagon

We have a client that has also reported this problem to us.

Their addresses are blocked in the same way as Jasons

brookehouse

[ Edited ]

I am the IT manager of a school and we have been experiencing this very same problem as af 2pm today.

I shall be onto to BT tomorrow now I see this is not an isolated incident and play up hell.

Mark

jasonstansfield

I have been back on to BT about this today - I was on hold for over 30 minutes before I got to speak to someone and all they would tell me is there is nothing that can be done because the problem is being caused by a third party.  They suggested that maybe I register a complaint with Ofcom.  I said 'What about BT?' and they said 'no, about the blacklist provider!'

brookehouse

I have been in touch with them today as well...I rang 08456007020....guy was quite helpful but said there was a few blacklist companies he couldnt unblock me from......so much for business support.

I spend about 2 grand a quarter with BT ..not for much longer!

Mark

Administrator
James

Hello all,

Really sorry to hear you've been having problems. I realise the below response from the Email team may not be the exact response you're after but please be assured we are very aware of the situation and - despite the fact BT cannot control the activities of third-party blacklisting services -  we are doing our best to work on it.

BT pro-actively monitors SPAM levels coming from its network. BT takes SPAM abuse of our network very seriously and action is taken against customers found to be in breach of the BT Terms and Conditions.

Customers whose email fails to reach its destination because the recipient server uses blacklisting companies, may suggest to the recipient that they request that the BT IP address is whitelisted. Or use one of the many other blacklisting companies which will allow mail to be received.

James

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.
Thank you.
Power User
Wing

Hello James

Is it worth suggesting to the BT email team that they contact all the main server providers on the behalf of their customers?

It would probably give more weight to achieve any action.

I think everyone will agree that the main culprit is UCEPROTECT.

Does BT use UCEPROTECT? I would hope not but a definate confirmation would be informative.

Can the BT email guys just inform yahoo, gmail, hotmail, BTyahoo to ignore UCEPROTECT?

Maybe they have.

If so, this would be very very very valuable information, because every BT connect ip address is blacklisted by them.

If all us customers know that action has been taken, then it would help to eliminate this as a source of problems. We could then concentrate on all the other reasons why emails fail.

We could ignore the blacklisting by UCEPROTECT

Wing

brookehouse

I agree the culprit is "uceprotect"...we are still listed with there level 3 which they insist  is a mass ip address range block instead of a single ip address.

They named the below : 

UCEPROTECT-Level3

'Level 3 Test : AS2856 Reputation of ASN 2856 | BT-UK-AS BTnet UK Regional network

any ideas BT? 

Mark