Erkan

Web Outlook and creating rules to managed incoming mail

Ok I'm really frustrated now!! Hopefully someone will tell me that I haven't ticked a bok or something simple!

I have set up email aliases that default to my email me@btconnect.com such as enquiries@mycompany.com and bookings@mycompany.com

I am using Web Outlook to manage my email, and yes I know that it will have limitations, but surely I should be easily be able to create rules to manage my incoming mail.

Ok the story so far is

1) Firstly I couldn't create new folders but solved that by turning off my pop up blocker.
2) I then created subfolders within my inbox for each alias email that I have set up.
3) I then created rules to select incoming mail for each email alias into named allocated folders.
4) When I sent a test email to one email alias address, I found a copy was put in all the folders that I created!!
5) I then checked the rule and found that it had changed and defaulted to me@btconnect.com (i.e. the host email for my aliases!)
6) Not to be beaten yet...I then put the alias emails into my contacts and then when I created a rule I used the addreess book to select the relevant email alias which seemed to work (i.e. i didn't get problem 5 again!)
7) I then tested an email for one alias but I got problem 4 again!!
8) ahhh! Now I'm thinking that I really should just give up and 'get a life'!
9) Then I had a coffee and then set up folders at the same level as my inbox folder (i.e to see if sub-folders were the problem) and tested an email but....once again I got problem 4!! i.e. a copy in each folder I had created!!
10) Give up...start smoking or post this on the forum!!!

Help!
Master User
chris

Re: Web Outlook and creating rules to managed incoming mail

This would appear to be a limitation of the BT Business Outlook Webmail.

The BT Business Exchange Server can not filter different aliases to different folders, it does not know they are different as it only sees the main email address (@btconnect.com) and not the individual aliases.

SwineLake

Hi Erkan,

I got round this by creating a separate user (i.e. new email address) for each of the email aliases I wanted to use. eg. bookings@btconnect.com to point to bookings@mydomain.com

Cheers,

SwineLake

Grand Guru
alastair

i'd have to agree with swinelake on this one for resolution
=~~= All Glory to the Hypnotoad! =~~=