cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 and BTConnect IMAP settings

boran
Power User

Hello

I am trying to set up btconnect email in my windows 8 email client.

In windows 7 I have used POP3 and it worked fine.

Windows 8 is scrapped of POP3 and supports only Exchange or IMAP.

I can not find the correct settings for btconnect incoming and outgoing mail for IMAP.

Could anyne be able to help please.

Kind Regards

Boran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

markp
Grand Guru

Hi All,

A standard email lite account with BT is just a POP account and does not support IMAP. If you want to be able to use IMAP you would need to upgrade the premium email product to get this functionality.

We are aware that the Windows 8 Mail app does not suport POP email accounts.

Looking at the Microsoft's FAQ's on Windows 8, they are advising to download Windows Live mail which you can get for free from Microasoft and works with Windows 8.

Regards

Markp

BT Business Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kezza1971

Hi there, I am having the same problems as you.

I've bought a new computer with Windows 8 and try as I might to get it to connect to BT Connect email, it can't/won't find it.

I can connect through to it fine through the internet, but it'll be handy to connect to it using the Windows 8 apps.

Please help!

Many thanks,

Paul

helpinghands
Power User

As far as I am aware all BT light email addresses are pop3. The only way to use IMAP is to urgrade to Org & Share/Office 365 Premium and attach the licence to your email account.

It is kinda strange that Microsoft have not offered a POP3 connection in their Windows 8 mail app. You will find that all ISP email addressses will only be able to be used as POP3.

boran
Power User

It looks like we have to use web mail client than.

I also dont understand why would M$ take POP3 out of new email client.

At the first screen of mail setup POp3 is offered, but on next message that POP3 is not any longer supported appears, looks like last minute decision.

I use windows phone 7.5, so if the same logic is applied to W8 phone, i will not be able to have my emails on the go.

Boran

markp
Grand Guru

Hi All,

A standard email lite account with BT is just a POP account and does not support IMAP. If you want to be able to use IMAP you would need to upgrade the premium email product to get this functionality.

We are aware that the Windows 8 Mail app does not suport POP email accounts.

Looking at the Microsoft's FAQ's on Windows 8, they are advising to download Windows Live mail which you can get for free from Microasoft and works with Windows 8.

Regards

Markp

BT Business Forum Moderator

boran
Power User

Hi markp

Thank you for clarifying that , it was tedious work trying to find the answer on google / bing.

Kind Regards

Boran

Rivy

Hi

I've just bought a new laptop with Windows 8 and initially had the same problem - but now an upgrade of Windows 8 seems to have taken away some of the issues and does allow POP3 - someow  in the account set up

With my Personal BT mail account, when you enter your email address, it will automatically detect the settings and you can use the email - for the incoming mail it uses 'winmetro.imap.mail.yahoo.com' and for the output 'winmetro.smtp.mail.yahoo.com'

However, (using the outlook account) with my business email which uses my domain name, it doesn't detect it and proceeds to ask further questions ( as well as email address and password)

ie domain name

user name

With the changes to 365 - I am now unsure what username to use

eg. previously , say my name is Susan Smith my user name was susan.smith@btconnect.com

my domain name is happy.com, my email would be sue@happy.com

the domain name used would be happy.com

but for the username I tried both the equivalent of susan.smith@btconnect.com and sue@happy.com

and it did not recognise any of these

It next asked for the server name  - I wasn't sure what to put here so I put in BTconnect.com

It still wouldn't accept this

I then tried the adding the email in  'Other Account' and was asked further questions

ie Incoming IMAP email Server and Outgoing SMTP Server - I guessed at the winmetro ones but it still didn't work

I'm not sure at this point if it is something I'm not typing in correctly for the BT side of if it is a problem with Windows 8

have you any suggestions please - as I'm still having to use my old desk top to receive my emails

Thanks

Rivy