cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure during mobile device initialisation

ljrossiter

Received my new E170 stick, plugged it in, allowed software to load, rebooted.

Now get error message in BT Access Manager:  Failure during mobile device initialisation: Error 31052

I guess there's no phone support until Monday - is there a faster solution to this?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Naishy
Power User

Andy,

Would you be willing to test a fix for this issue? 

Instructions:

1. Download and install BT Access Manager 1.9.84.0 available here.

2. Apply the patch available here (leaving the path to install as the default i.e. C:\Program Files\BT Common Client).

3. Start BT Access Manager

Please let me know if this fixes your issue.

Thanks

Tim

Message Edited by Naishy on 03-04-2009 10:04 AM

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

craigmod
Power User

It would be worth trying to repair the installation, or even remove, choosing that option instead of repair, and re-install. When re-installing be sure to choose the Huawei drivers only option not the total drivers option, I would also recommend restarting the machine and re-inserting the E170 after doing any of this.

Should his not work it may point to a problem with either the machine seeing the mobile device part of the E170 or a problem accessing the mobile network.

Make sure that the SIM in use is enabled for 3G/GPRS, if you can let me know the mobile or SIM number and the company details I can check this.

Also ensure that the SIM is fitted correctly into the E170, it should be placed in the SIM caddy so that the chip is showing and the cut-off on the SIM fits to the dimple in the caddy then placed back in the E170.

The next stage after that is checking the Windows Device Manager to see if this shows any record of Huawei devices under Modems and Ports. Let me know whether this is the case and I can advise further.

ljrossiter

Craig, I appreciate your help.

Since first writing, I've spoken on the phone to your technical support. However, as we were able to get the data stick to work (and connect) on another office pc, I was told it was a conflict with something on my laptop, and therefore my problem.

So I still have the problem on the laptop where I need the mobile connection. 

My laptop is an Hp notebook, XP, a couple of years old with nothing special installed.

I've tried:

> turning off the wireless

> turning off antivirus software

> uninstalling the Access Manager, and allowing reinstallation from each of the different USB ports (3)

Within Device manager, I see:

> Modems: HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem

> Ports: HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G PC UI Interface (COM9)

I chose the Huawei drivers only option, and restarted every time. 

For your reference, the sim's number is 89441000301208143513 for Rossiter & Co.

Further help would be much appreciated - I cancelled our previous Vodafone 3G card, as this seemed a better option, but now we can't use it at all, and so have nothing.

Thank you, Linda 

ljrossiter

Hi. Is is possible to get help with this?

Thank you, Linda 

ljrossiter

I'm stuck with a mobile stick I can't use.

I can't find anyone who's prepared to help with this problem.

Can you advise where I can get help?

To summarise:

I've got a new 170 stick.

On an XP desktop pc it installs and connects fine.

On my XP HP laptop, where I actually need it, I get an error message in BT Access Manager:  Failure during mobile device initialisation: Error 31052

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software. I've stopped everything else from running.

I don't want to go back to Vodafone, but currently I have nothing. Please help, or tell me who can help....

Thank you, Linda

Naishy
Power User
Linda,

I believe that a updated version of BT Access Manager will be released shortly that will address the issue you are seeing. I am unsure of the exact dates, but it may well be within the next month.

Regards

Tim

ljrossiter

Tim, Thank you for this - I'm sure it's the answer.

After a lot of searching, I finally found a version of Access Manager available to download.

I installed this, and finally managed to connect. Success after almost one month of failure!

The software is version 1.5.39.0, which I think may well be older than the one on the stick, but at least it works.

I'm presuming that it's an old version, as it doesn't show how many mb I've used, which I think for a mobile stick with download limits is vital. 

Do you know where to look to get the new upgrade when it comes out? Or should it upgrade automatically?

I really appreciate your help - I've been very surprised at the lack of help from BT. I've had no answer here, nor through email, nor through the contact form on the website.

Meanwhile phone support just told me there was a conflict, and I should "use another laptop". Not very helpful.

Surely someone at BT could have got me to download the software weeks ago when I first raised the issue.

Thanks again, Linda 

Naishy
Power User
Linda,

Glad to hear you've got it working. I'm surprised you found version 1.5.39.0, as I think that version was an old 'Release Candidate' and probably has a short expiry time on it. Does it not display a message saying that it's expired when you use it?

I'll post up a link to the new BT Access Manager release on this thread once it's available (should be next week). BT Access Manager does check for new versions every 7 days and should prompt you to update, but it's probably easiest to download it directly in your case.

Tim

ljrossiter

I'd appreciate the link when you have it, thanks.

This old version seems to run fine, though my anti virus software doesn't like the file BT Common Client/btomoslo.dll, flagging it as a Downloader trojan.

I did turn off the av software before installing the Access Manager but I wonder if this is the problem?

Anyhow, thanks for your help,

Linda 

Naishy
Power User

The new BT Access Manager (1.9.84.0) can be downloaded from:

http://accessmanager.btcm.info/client/setup/install.exe

or

https://www.btopenzone.net/client/setup/install.exe

If you are prompted with a Security Dialog, check that is says it's signed by 'British Telecommunications Plc'.

I'd keep a copy of the installer for the client you are using (and works) just in case this new version doesn't fix the issue. If you still see the issue with the new version above, let me know.

Tim