cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE Data Dongle Issues

Argonaut

I have a mobile data dongle .. and well to put it simple it is no good when mobile. (sort of defeats the description)

If you are at a static location .. and you have a 3G signal it works OK.

However if for example you are on a train, it connects, then when train moves to next cell coverage, it only stays connected if identical signal i.e. 3G to 3G.

if that cell is better (3G>HPDSA)  or worse (3G >GPRS) it drop the call and there is a message on BT Access manager asking if you want to make a new connection.

This is absurd ... on my Smartphone, as it moves form call to cell it keeps going at best available signal, it does not keep asking me to connect.

I have logged ticket with support .. and told this is not a fault, it's design intent ... users want to decided whether to connect each time ........ that is a ludicrous answer  (excuse)

Anybody found a way around this ?

Lately I have instead switched to using my phone as a mobile hotspot .. at least it keeps signal up, you would expect any data dongle;e to be able to do this.

4 REPLIES 4

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

I feel your pain. Access Manager, with its ability to panic, drop a connection, or deliver a "critical" error message and request you contact support for assistance; for no reason that I can think of leaves it somewhat lacking.

All I can suggest is that you ensure you are running the latest version; mine is 1.9.94.0  (right click in the circle white space then dropdown "about";  it's not in the extended menu!)

kuerten
Super User

This sounds like a firmware upgrade to me. Systems like these are design to be smooth in changing channels. Can you try updating it? And see how it goes. 

Argonaut
BT support say 'no', it is not designed to auto reconnect, they insist that the majority of customers do not want this.
Stating they want control over what network ...I pointed out that they could allow auto reconnect to preferred network when not roaming, but they disagree.
It makes no sense at all to me ...it should work same as a phone connection ..with auto reconnect.
Maybe BT don't understand the concept of mobile data.

rejser

Availability with the selling merchant shipping destination and courier/delivery issues . An issue going from bigpond to a wifi hotspot for the house, havn't tried it as a USB connected dongle .

sms lån