cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Tethering

DavidLanceley

Anyone managed to set up internet tethering on their iPhone? 

Settings / General / Network / Set-up Internet tethering directs you to the vodafone website

4 REPLIES 4

Jimmyboy

Hi, have Vodafone added the tethering bolt on to your account? Without this the tethering will not work. The reason being that you will be charged extra to use tethering as it is not included in your data allowance.

DavidLanceley

My account is actually with BT but the iPhone always shows the Vodafone network.  It was explained to me that this is because BT "piggybacks" on Vodafone. 

So could I add a bolt on for tethering on my BT account?

Jimmyboy

I guess I should have realised that this being a BT forum after all!

I would assume it is the same set up as an iphone directly with Vodafone so I would call BT and ask them to do what they need to do at their end. With a normal phone you can set it up easily but with the iphone some clever person realised they can make a bit more money out of charging for this separately.

JonesyBrown
To set up tethering (Internet sharing) on your iPhone, follow these steps: 1. Enable the tethering option on your carrier's data plan. Many carriers charge extra for this service, and prices vary, so contact your carrier for specific details. 2. Make sure that you have an iPhone 3G or later. Only these generations of iPhones support tethering. 3. On your iPhone, tap Settings, General, Network. 4. Tap the Personal Hotspot option. 5. Tap the Wi-Fi Password option. This will enable you to prevent unauthorized devices from connecting. 6. Type your desired password and tap Done. 7. Slide the Personal Hotspot option from OFF to ON to enable Internet sharing. The phone will create a Wi-Fi network with the same name as your iPhone device name