cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud Phone number porting woes

dag

I've used example phone numbers to try and keep this simple !

We have a land line (fast broadband) with broadband, tel. no 333

Office manager buys Cloud Phone with 2 handsets, tel number 888

Plug the Cloud Phone into BT hub (on 333 number), set up no problem, everything works, redirects etc. Broadband continues.

Request a number port so that our main office number (333) is transferred to be our Cloud Phone.

No problem say BT we'll send and engineer in to install a new line which you plug your BT hub and Cloud Phone ina nd then transfer the number !

Why I said, because thats the way it is done say BT !

I'm struggling to understand why we need a new line when we already have a line with Broadband, Cloud Phone etc and just want a number port. Surely this is a software switch at the exchange ? can anyone explain why, because the BT help desk can't.

Regards,

David

2 REPLIES 2

HowsThat
Power User

Hi David,

It sounds like your main phone number is also your broadband line number so if you port the number away the line and broadband will stop working!  Thus they will install a new line (just for broadband).

If this makes sense and is what they are doing you might want to check what they are doing with the broadband since this tied to the original line number and porting it will terminate the line rental and broadband contracts and might carry termination charges and then you will have to have a new line installed and broadband service added which takes time, additional costs and a new contract (how long?).

If you want to do the job properly you would have a new line with broadband installed and working before you port the old number to ensure you have no down time.

Best of luck,

Stuart

dag

Stuart,

Thanks for the reply.  Our main line (333) does have the broadband on.

We have been told that the new line (no cost to us) is to be for everything, broadband and cloudphone ported number.  I think the process is as you described in "doing it properly" :-

Install new line with broadband (on a new number)

Plug cloudphone into the new line

BT "port" our main number (333) to the cloudphone on the new line.

But I still don't understand why our main number cannot be switched to our cloudphone when everything is already installed and working on that existing line ?

One problem is that the call centre do not seem to understand, they put me on hold whilst they talk to the technical people when what I really need is to talk direct with them !

It is all on pause at the moment as BT couldn't install the new line - couldn't find the DP - it's an old building, bit of a rabbit warren with cables behind walls etc.

So I have some time to call BT tomorrow.

Regards,

David