cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Porting

memale

If I subscribe to BT Hosted VoIP, can I port my exisitng PSTN number to BT Hosted VoIP?

If my PSTN number is the same number as my Broadband service, can I port the number? Will the PSTN number for my Broadband service be replaced with a new number?

12 REPLIES 12

steph
Grand Master

Hi there,

With BT Hosted VoIP you can have up to eight additional "virtual" lines (which will start with 05), however you can choose new geographical numbers (i.e. numbers starting with 01, 02, or 03) charged at £ 2.99 per number.

You can also choose to port your exisiting landline number (if you choose not to port it, your standard PSTN lines will stay the same as before).

If you haven't had a chance to look at the info available online, here is some information on BT Hosted VoIP is some information on BT Hosted VoIP.

I hope this helps,

Steph

Message Edited by James on 27-02-2009 12:06 PM
BT Forum Moderator

memale

Hi Steph,

Thanks for your response.

I think I may have posed the question in a complex kind of way.

Basically, if I port the number from a PSTN landline, what happens to the landline? Does it get a new number of does it cease to operate?

I've tried to contact the Hosted VoIP team via email before, but without any luck, that is why I have resorted to the forums.

Thanks

minicheddar
Super User

Memale,

When you port a number from a PSTN landline, that landline is ceased.

An FAQ entry is currently in production which will explain Number Porting in more detail. 

I will link to it when this goes live.

Minicheddar

memale

Minicheddar,

Many thanks for your response.

With this in mind, if I want to continue to have a PSTN line, what can be done?

Can I request for a new number to provided on the line?

Thanks in advance.

minicheddar
Super User

The new number porting FAQ is located here 

Let me know if there are any aspects that need further clarification and I will amend it.

Thanks,

Minicheddar

memale

Hi Minicheddar,

Well, I followed the FAQ and called my local BT Local Business. I think they knew lesss about the BT product range than I do!

I still don't know if I can port my number!

Is there anyone as BT who I can call directly to get a proper understanding if my objectives can be achieved?

Many Thanks

P.S.

The 0800 on this page: http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/internet-communication/hosted-voip doesn't appear to work!

Message Edited by James on 11-05-2009 11:25 AM

minicheddar
Super User

Hi Memale,

Which BT Local Business is it?

Although experiences with the product vary from one LB to another, they are best suited to answer queries and place orders for you.

memale

BTLB London West End represented by Integrated Computer Technologies (London) Ltd

The guy said that he needed to check with the backoffice and that he would call me back in 30 mins. That was about 10am this morning.

As with 'new' services like this I'm not expecting much from these guys.

minicheddar
Super User
Thanks, we will look into this.