cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using credit card machine over VOIP

karensmout

Is there any reason why a credit card machine shouldn't work over a VOIP line?

The card machine provider has said to make sure that there's a filter on the internet line, but as I already use one of the VOIP lines on my router for a Fax machine, I'm assuming that it is filtered already.

Would the card machine benefit from the VOIP line being configured in a similar way to the Fax machine configuration, or does it not make any difference?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gs
Super User

Might work, might not. Ill start by saying its not supported by BT though. Even if you do get it working today, and it stops in 6 months, they will not help you as it is not a service they support.

What I would try, is going into the router, http://192.168.1.254 and then locate the voip section under services. Try setting the Line 1 to Fax mode, that might help. Also, if you can change the transmission rate for the PDQ, try and drop it down to slightly slower, that works for fax machines so may work for this.

Also, you will have the main phone socket > business hub > 2wire uk splitter in phone socket > PDQ plugged into line 1.

You do not add another filter, that will not work. The VoIP service uses the internet for making phone calls, the Business Hub establishes and maintains the connection for you, it just uses the phone line to make the internet connection.

Give it a try and see what happens, if it doesnt work, I wouldnt be shocked.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

gs
Super User

Might work, might not. Ill start by saying its not supported by BT though. Even if you do get it working today, and it stops in 6 months, they will not help you as it is not a service they support.

What I would try, is going into the router, http://192.168.1.254 and then locate the voip section under services. Try setting the Line 1 to Fax mode, that might help. Also, if you can change the transmission rate for the PDQ, try and drop it down to slightly slower, that works for fax machines so may work for this.

Also, you will have the main phone socket > business hub > 2wire uk splitter in phone socket > PDQ plugged into line 1.

You do not add another filter, that will not work. The VoIP service uses the internet for making phone calls, the Business Hub establishes and maintains the connection for you, it just uses the phone line to make the internet connection.

Give it a try and see what happens, if it doesnt work, I wouldnt be shocked.

SeanC
Master User

Just to add a bit more to GS post

If it fails try having a play with the spead/transmission of the pdq.

SC

gs
Super User

Already said that SC Smiley Very Happy

shock

Hi SC,

We have currently have BT business services and would like to use the PDQ on the VOIP channel with a Barclaycard Ingenco itc250 machine (new ones). It connects to download the initial updates when first activated, but will not connect on transaction.

The hub is set to FAX, I've tried Low, but no joy with any of them.

Can you please help in resolving this problem.

Is the phone number tied to a PDQ machine? or can we use it on any number.

Regards

SeanC
Master User

Hi Shock

have you tried lowering the speed/transmission rate of the PDQ? this has made a difference in the past.

PDQ - output level to minimum of 5.

You should be able to use your PDQ on most phone lines, it is not tied to your Broadband Voice account.

if you are still having issues PM me your voip number and ill have a look at your account.

Regards

SC

shock

HI SC,

thanks for the reply, how do we set the speed/transmission rate on a ingenico ict250 (Barlcaycard supplier).

Our phone number is ***** ****** and the VOIP number is *** **** **** 

Much appreciated.

You can discuss this me on the telephone if need be, i'm on *********** 

Steven

SeanC
Master User

Hi Steven

Sorry I do not know how to change the speed/transmission rate on your PDQ.

I have checked your broadband voice account and this is all fine.

I'm sorry to say but the only thing I can suggest is the speed and this is not guaranteed to work.

Regards

SC

logannharveyy45

It will work but if anyone use series VOIP then it will disconnect from the the VOIP line. 

LisaMariaH

I am not sure if I am right here, but I guess I have the same Problem. I am having a EC Terminal for Creditcards but somehow the connection with VOIP doesnt work. I use this device: http://www.cashforless.de/Terminal-Verifone-H5000-xmas.html Could anyone tell me what I can do to make it work?

thx