cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Phone and Fax on same line?

Raymo

Hi guys and girls. 

I would like to know if it’s possible to setup a fax and a phone on the same line.

At the moment in time I currently have a single phone attached and a the BT business hub via a filter to a single line, but when I attempt to add the fax using a phone line splitter into the filter so both phone and fax work I get fax interference from other landlines. The fax is currently in Fax/Tel mode and has auto-detection on. Is there anyway I can get this to work with a single phone line or would I have to have two separate phone lines? Also how would I go about adding a second line onto my account if that were the case?

PS. The fax is also a Brother MFC-J6510DW

Thanks. 

Raymond

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BobbyDotGov

Ah I see! Sort of what I expected - anyway the easiest way we found to set this up was basically similar to yourself (do your 3 cordless phones have an answer machine incorporated?). The receiver settings on the Fax machine need to be set to one of the following;

No Answer phone on the phone lines then set Receive mode to Fax/Tel auto switch.

OR - If there is an answerphone on the phone lines then set the receive mode to I believe its Answer Phone Connect

This is where you could set the Manual RX mode or Fax only mode

I found that having the Fax / Tel auto switch set sometimes when a voice call was answered, for some reason the fax would kick in now and again 😞

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Bob C

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

BobbyDotGov

Hi Raymond,

I was just passing through and upon seeing this I believe it is something I can assist you with (hopefully!). I had a few issues with adding a Fax machine onto a single line to share with a phone; there are a couple of ways of doing this. Probably better to know exactly what the setup is for the line and fax

I.e. is this a dedicated line for the phone and fax at the location, or is it a distributed line to a location that you are adding the fax to?

You could first set the Fax/Tel switch to manual, this allows you to answer the phone and if it is high pitched squealing then press the manual fax button to receive the fax. This is annoying but does work.

Give me some more details on the line setup and I'll try to help you through this.

Bob C

Raymo

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the swift reply! The setup at the moment in time is just a dedicated line that is used for a single set of 3 cordless telephones. At the wall point is a filter for the ADSL Connection and then just standard phone line. (Split)

ADSL goes to the modem and the phone line goes to the 3 cordless phones. At the moment in time I have attached a splitter to the standard Phone line on the filter and attached and the 3 cordless phones and the fax in the other. 

Thanks.

BobbyDotGov

Ah I see! Sort of what I expected - anyway the easiest way we found to set this up was basically similar to yourself (do your 3 cordless phones have an answer machine incorporated?). The receiver settings on the Fax machine need to be set to one of the following;

No Answer phone on the phone lines then set Receive mode to Fax/Tel auto switch.

OR - If there is an answerphone on the phone lines then set the receive mode to I believe its Answer Phone Connect

This is where you could set the Manual RX mode or Fax only mode

I found that having the Fax / Tel auto switch set sometimes when a voice call was answered, for some reason the fax would kick in now and again 😞

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Bob C