cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm expected to pay for fault caused by BT

GJA

Just recently switched from Virginmedia to BT because Virginmedia got so bad. After initial order to BT for landline and broadband got lost by BT and waited over a month to get connected, I finally got BT landline and broadband. However, I got given a temporary landline number until I could get my original landline number from Virgin transferred. Temporary landline and broadband has worked fine during this period.

However, since my original landline number has been switched in the past week, the reception on the landline is so poor I just a swell be talking to someone on the moon. And get this, everytime someone calls my landline it knocks the broadband out!

Called BT faults who ran some tests and said everything was fine. So they said they could send an engineer out to check the fault. If the fault was found outside my home property there would be no charge. If the fault was found inside the property I would be charged £129.99 to have it fixed!

Now considering everything was fine until BT transferred my old number, it would seem to me that the fault has been caused by BT and they are telling me it will cost £129.99 to fix if the fault is in my property. REALLY... REALLY... I MEAN REALLY!!!! Are they serious?

BT Faults manager Satish Kumar totally unhelpful. I thought Virginmedia were the pits, but BT are making me think again. Definitely not agreeing to pay for fault caused by BT. Will seek other supplier unless I can resolve.

2 REPLIES 2

markp
Grand Guru

Hi There GJA,

I am sorry to see you are having a problem getting yout line fixed.  When we make any engineer appointments we will always advise of potential charges.  If a fault is found to be external to the property then no charges would be applied to the account, but if the fault is found to be internal wiring or equipment that is not BT property then you could be charged.

We advise this to all BT customers with every engineer we would book out.

Mark

GJA

Thanks Mark. However, the problem didnt exist until BT got me back on my old landline number. I've touched absolutely nothing. Now every time I get a phone call not only can I not hear who is calling, it knocks my broadband out. That doesnt seem to be my fault even if there is now a fault inside my property. It seems to me I'm paying for two services, phone and broadband, neither of which work perfectly since BT activated my old landline number.

I'm happy to get an engineer in to investigate, but if he says the fault is inthe property, there's no way I'm paying £129.99 to have oit fixed. I'd rather forget BT and find another supplier. It's actually starting to make Virginmedia quite good - which I thought I would never say!